Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking of getting a Midas Blenny for my 90 gal. Right now the first 2 fish are 2 weeks before QT release. A Blue Hippo Tang and Tomini Tang. Next up is a Female Japanese Swallowtail Angel, then a pair of clowns.

Who has or had Midas Blennies?
Are they easy or tough?
Tank bullies or peacemakers?
Active or hiders?

I know there’s some color variations and I’d really dig a yellow one. If I get one, I’ll probably QT with the Angel. My QT is a 33gal cube.

Thanks!

BRS

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking of getting a Midas Blenny for my 90 gal. Right now the first 2 fish are 2 weeks before QT release. A Blue Hippo Tang and Tomini Tang. Next up is a Female Japanese Swallowtail Angel, then a pair of clowns.

Are they easy or tough?
Active or hiders?

I know there’s some color variations and I’d really dig a yellow one. If I get one, I’ll probably QT with the Angel. My QT is a 33gal cube.

Thanks!
Once those tangs go in, it will be challenging to add others.
Tangs usually last.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one--love it. Easy fish, in my opinion. Always out and about when I'm around (looking for food--mine's a pig). No agression towards any other fish in my tank.
Is he a jumper? I have an open top and don’t want to put a screen net on it if I don’t have to.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Are they easy or tough?
Active or hiders?

Thanks!
Theyre moderate level fish if healthy offer nice color and moderate care. They are peaceful often the one to get picked on, like firefish out in the open when they want and BE SURE they are eating and dont have a sunken belly or bumps on their stomachs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once those tangs go in, it will be challenging to add others.
Tangs usually last.
You’re right, I got anxious with my fish, doh! Both are very timid in QT and hide in PVC when anyone walks by. But we’re not other inhabitants.

BRS

TimSt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he a jumper? I have an open top and don’t want to put a screen net on it if I don’t have to.

Thanks!
Mine actually jumped out at feeding time once--got really excited and hit the floor. Scooped him up, put him back, and he acted like nothing happened.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are they easy or tough?
Active or hiders?

Thanks!
I find them to be very easy, bold, and active. Most active of the blennies and a top of the tank fish. They can bully some fish but they aren't that bad. Usually lack the speed or agility to actually bully.
The only extra thing is they really appreciate some good holes in the rock work or a barnacle cluster.
IMG_2464.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are they easy or tough?
Active or hiders?

Thanks!

They can be tough to keep enough weight on. They seem to suffer from getting skinny over time. There is a sticky about this I think in the disease forums.

They can bully planktivors and small fish, but this is usually seen in smaller tanks. The tank makes you have picked out should be fine. In fact, sometimes tangs bully blennies.

Active.

You probably won’t keep it alive long without a lid. Mine used to jump out the feed door when I opened it. Hit me in the face once lol They are jumpy as all heck.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine jumped one time, got him back in immediately. Mine for some reason likes to bite when he is hungry! Found out real quick how sharp their fangs were, no bueno!
Wow
Lucky it’s not one of the venemous species

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
You need a screen top for the clowns...

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can make a screen top, I have a kit even with a feed port. I’m just worried about losing PAR. I measured it last night. I’m running 4 T5’s and 3 Kessil A360x’s. In the middle at the top of my rocks I’m at 233 and 250. If like to keep SPS’ if possible. I’ve also got another A360X on order.

Billy

AquaCave Logo Banner

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can make a screen top, I have a kit even with a feed port. I’m just worried about losing PAR. I measured it last night. I’m running 4 T5’s and 3 Kessil A360x’s. In the middle at the top of my rocks I’m at 233 and 250. If like to keep SPS’ if possible. I’ve also got another A360X on order.

Billy
BRS did tests and I think they concluded that there's about a 4% PAR reduction with a screen top.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Midas, excellent fish! Can not stress enough for you to build that lid lol. He will definitely take a leap of faith. Mine tries to do it every time I feed. Starts to poke his head out the water, and then he tries to leap up, though he can never get it right lol. They also bite lol. All my fish feed from my hand and I have to take it out every time the blenny sees it. Don’t know what he has got with my hand. And those little fangs are sharper than you think.

Careful adding tangs as the very first fish next time. Issues bound to pop up that way. Midas Blennies (9/10) aren’t bully fish, they are a bullied fish. Make sure he gets enough to eat before the other more boisterous tank mates do. These guys tend to suffer from malnourishment and get really skinny real quick. Super personable fish. Btw if you ever get Anthias, these blennies like to shoal with them.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back