Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s officially Christmas in the United States…so Merry Christmas or should I say Merry Fishmas and happy holidays! I hope you get everything you want or will be treating yourself and spending time with family/friends. I’m looking forward to getting a fleece roller for my tank and some other goodies. What did you get? Please post photos of fish related wishes or gifts. I’d love to see them!:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s officially Christmas in the United States…so Merry Christmas or should I say Merry Fishmas and happy holidays! I hope you get everything you want or will be treating yourself and spending time with family/friends. I’m looking forward to getting a fleece roller for my tank and some other goodies. What did you get? Please post photos of fish related gifts. I’d love to see them!:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Merry christmas, and I'm happy you are getting aquarium gifts. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to scrape up enough to get rock, sand and salt. Actually I'm thinking about getting my sand from the beach, and possibly a small rock or two if I can to help establish some dry Rock. I'll get there one day :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry christmas, and I'm happy you are getting aquarium gifts. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to scrape up enough to get rock, sand and salt. Actually I'm thinking about getting my sand from the beach, and possibly a small rock or two if I can to help establish some dry Rock. I'll get there one day :)
Definitely and look at the marketplace on here and Facebook. This hobby is expensive but if you live near a beach you can use it to your advantage.

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely and look at the marketplace on here and Facebook. This hobby is expensive but if you live near a beach you can use it to your advantage.
Thank you for the inspiration. My options are to either reseal a 30 gallon bow front which was a hand-me-down. Or buy a 40 gallon breeder which would give me more confidence as far as water leaks go. Of course then I would have to build a stand. Being close to the beach in Florida is a great asset I believe, and I am thinking of ways to put that to my benefit.

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to cycle Rock / tank for at least 3 months. This gives me plenty of time to allow it for ick, for example to end its cycle. And to hopefully create enough biofilm to minimize the ugly stage. That's why I don't worry about collecting sand or even water for that matter in the beginning stages.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good on paper of course. But I actually believe it is a sound way to start. I believe that a slow cycle is a good cycle. And this gives you plenty of time for pests to die off before you add livestock. With any luck, this will actually come to fruition.

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world, I would eliminate pests during this slow cycle. And do quarantine on fish at the same time. I don't plan on having a very large tank, I could start with only a couple of fish in quarantine. That means I would likely only need a 10 gallon tank, as a medicated tank. That is pretty easy to set up, although it will require routine water changes. I have also considered paying a higher price on fish to have them pretreated. If I were to set up the 30 gallon I could only have five or six fish. So it might actually be worth it just to pay a premium for those fish. So many things to consider when approaching this hobby, especially when you don't have a lot of money.

AquaCave Logo Banner

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost thinking that for only five or six fish, the cost of doing quarantine equipment medications etc, might not be worth it actually. I'm still in limbo on this idea because I've not actually done the pricing yet.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost thinking that for only five or six fish, the cost of doing quarantine equipment medications etc, might not be worth it actually. I'm still in limbo on this idea because I've not actually done the pricing yet.
I’d look into a UV sterilizer too if you don’t have one already.

Nutramar Foods

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps if you have a large tank with a lot of money invested in livestock it could be worth it. I suppose that is why my cautious approach is so valuable in my opinion. Because without it you have to rely on all kinds of expensive procedures and equipment, if I don't do due diligence from the start.

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is way outside my budget. My tank will never have UV sterilizer. I agree it is a push for a good cause. However it is not a cure and it is very expensive.
UV is mainly good for certain dinos. I don’t believe they help with parasites. The parasites are attracted to fish and come out at night while the fish are sleeping.

To assume most will go into the overflow to get to the UV is wishful thinking IMO.

pshootr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is mainly good for certain dinos. I don’t believe they help with parasites. The parasites are attracted to fish and come out at night while the fish are sleeping.

To assume most will go into the overflow to get to the UV is wishful thinking IMO.
Yes exactly. You will never get every parasite out. And they will attack your fish when they go to sleep it just lowers numbers potentially. And the other benefit is bacterial situations. It has its place but it's not going to keep you safe from parasites. Parasites such as ick will drop the larvae where the fish sleeps. So when they hatch they jump on the fish when he goes to sleep again.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly. You will never get every parasite out. And they will attack your fish when they go to sleep it just lowers numbers potentially. And the other benefit is bacterial situations. It has its place but it's not going to keep you safe from parasites. Parasites such as ick will drop the larvae where the fish sleeps. So when they hatch they jump on the fish when he goes to sleep again.
Luckily, most fish can live with ich fine. Their immune systems work well.

Velvet is different, but fortunately they are less prevalent.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the problem is if you let it in your tank, you will never be able to keep those vulnerable fish.
That’s why people do the QT.

Be warned it’s much harder than you think. You can do everything “perfectly” but they can still make it through. Ich eradication is difficult.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is way outside my budget. My tank will never have UV sterilizer. I agree it is a push for a good cause. However it is not a cure and it is very expensive.
They have some cheaper ones. I was also thinking if you plan to use ocean water then it would be a good idea to help sanitize the water and kill ant parasites or nuisances.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back