Melted anemone

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to come on here and ask if I should just give up on this rbta. Got it in august and was doing good for about a month until it started to shrink up a lot and eventually mouth stayed open most of the time. Tested water and saw nitrate was around 40 ppm so I did a water change but didn’t seem to help. After that it didn’t hold onto the rock well so I put it in a little container with holes but didn’t do too well and now it’s at this point. Pretty bummed out about it because I spent $75 on it. The pics were from before and now it’s current state. Currently gonna upgrade my filtration more and do larger water changes to try to lower nitrate but hopefully in the future I can try again with another rbta. If anyone has any advice to keep them happy and healthy it would be appreciated! Thank you for reading this

IMG_1096.jpeg IMG_1377.jpeg IMG_1378.jpeg

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that thing is like dead dead it's rotting sorry. The nitrate is not going down after you changes the water is cuz your anemone is already dead and fouling your water.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would take it out ASAP. It is gone and just polluting your water. Can even irritate other livestock by releasing stinging cells

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share some information on your tank and folks can help point out what might have gone wrong.

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would take it out ASAP. It is gone and just polluting your water. Can even irritate other livestock by releasing stinging cells
I removed it yesterday didn’t want it messing up any of my corals. I’ve had an experience where one nuked my nano tank and it isn’t a nice surprise

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share some information on your tank and folks can help point out what might have gone wrong.
Tank is a 45 gallon jbj I bought from someone last December. When setting up I used about 5 gallons of the established tank water. Live rock was used too. Tank was set up for about 8 months when I got the anemone. Lights were a 150w nicrew light. Only tested basic parameters but will test the other ones later today.
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.2
Nitrate:40 ppm

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nicrew 150 is a good light for that tank, what intensity do you have it on? It should be higher, about 75% - 80% plus

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nicrew 150 is a good light for that tank, what intensity do you have it on? It should be higher, about 75% - 80% plus
I had it at around 50 percent max. I think that could have been the issue now that you say that. Didn’t run it higher as I read those lights are really powerful and I didn’t want to kill any coral. Do you think it was the lighting?

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry this happened to you. One time I was at a reef show and bought a 50$ nem…it died within the next week…I found out it was a combination of the nitrate being to high, and the water being to hot.

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry this happened to you. One time I was at a reef show and bought a 50$ nem…it died within the next week…I found out it was a combination of the nitrate being to high, and the water being to hot.
It happens it’s just apart of being in this hobby. It’s a bummer but gotta take it as a learning experience to make sure next time you know what to do. Sorry about your anemone

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it at around 50 percent max. I think that could have been the issue now that you say that. Didn’t run it higher as I read those lights are really powerful and I didn’t want to kill any coral. Do you think it was the lighting?
Slowly melting away over a month sounds like low light to me, I think this is the issue. Bump it up slowly about 5% per week until you get to around 75%-80%. If you have a access to a par meter, that is ideal, but if not, then I'm offering my advice based on my nicrew 100 on a 32 gallon tank, its at 75% and my corals are growing, so I think you should be around here, just my opinion, good luck.

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly melting away over a month sounds like low light to me, I think this is the issue. Bump it up slowly about 5% per week until you get to around 75%-80%. If you have a access to a par meter, that is ideal, but if not, then I'm offering my advice based on my nicrew 100 on a 32 gallon tank, its at 75% and my corals are growing, so I think you should be around here, just my opinion, good luck.
Thanks a lot for the advice just one question. Would it be that percent for both the blue and white light? Or one higher than the other?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the advice just one question. Would it be that percent for both the blue and white light? Or one higher than the other?
I don't have the controller so I just push the buttons which reduces the intensity 25%. So my blue is at 75% and the whites at 50%. But I like a whiter looking tank, so its more up to your preference. The blue contains the more important colors for growth.

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the controller so I just push the buttons which reduces the intensity 25%. So my blue is at 75% and the whites at 50%. But I like a whiter looking tank, so its more up to your preference. The blue contains the more important colors for growth.
Sounds good I will work on my light settings. Thank you so much!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back