Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Melanarus has what looks to be a couple abrasions or something on one side.

Been in my tank for 7 days, spend first 48 hours buried then has been out swimming like normal lights on to lights out until he buries in the sand to sleep. Eats great, swims and acts normal, color looks good.

By far the largest fish in my tank and I have seen no aggression from the 2 clowns or YWG. In fact the clowns seem scared of him even though he ignores them completely.

Just curious if it’s anything I need to be concerned about.
Thanks

DA2DF1CF-0AB4-491E-AD4E-A87839270374.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
New Melanarus has what looks to be a couple abrasions or something on one side.

Been in my tank for 7 days, spend first 48 hours buried then has been out swimming like normal lights on to lights out until he buries in the sand to sleep. Eats great, swims and acts normal, color looks good.

By far the largest fish in my tank and I have seen no aggression from the 2 clowns or YWG. In fact the clowns seem scared of him even though he ignores them completely.

Just curious if it’s anything I need to be concerned about.
Thanks

View attachment 3033655
As quick as these fish are and as easily startled they get, looks to be post injury with fungal or bacterial issue developed and best is to quarantine and treat with broad spectrum treatment such as Seachem Kanaplex that addresses both bacterial and fungal issues and absorbed into skin

OP
OP
B

brclark82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As quick as these fish are and as easily startled they get, looks to be post injury with fungal or bacterial issue developed and best is to quarantine and treat with broad spectrum treatment such as Seachem Kanaplex that addresses both bacterial and fungal issues and absorbed into skin
Can I just treat the whole tank? No corals but would like them eventually. 2 clownfish, 1 YWG, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp 2 crabs and about 5 snails

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind I just read that it is not invertebrate safe.

Any need to worry or treat the other fish?
I don’t see anything here that would be contagious to other fish….yet.
I would just watch it for now.
Jay

OP
OP
B

brclark82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything here that would be contagious to other fish….yet.
I would just watch it for now.
Jay

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
Here is an update with better pictures if you wouldn’t mind taking a look.

Still acting what I assume is normal a week later but not much change in the spots. Sleeps in the sand over night and darts in and out of rocks all day looking for food. Eats any food in the tank… pellets, flakes, mysis, seaweed clip

I’m not sure if the raised area by the pectoral fins/gills is new or not

7C66B983-4B0C-4926-A2C4-F8149FAB74E9.jpeg
I’m

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
Here is an update with better pictures if you wouldn’t mind taking a look.

Still acting what I assume is normal a week later but not much change in the spots. Sleeps in the sand over night and darts in and out of rocks all day looking for food. Eats any food in the tank… pellets, flakes, mysis, seaweed clip

I’m not sure if the raised area by the pectoral fins/gills is new or not

View attachment 3039726I’m
Im almost thinking this is something called vibriosis which is an internal infection that is gram-negative bacteria called Vibrio. Some signs are swollen lesions, red streaks or spots on the body, and ulcers on the body. While this mainly affects freshwater species, it is not exempt from marine fish.
If you still have Quarantine tank running, try running Seachem Kanaplex for 5-7 days as this is absorbed by fish and I believe you will see improvement. Naturally, you want to provide Very good water quality monitored with a Reliable test kit

OP
OP
B

brclark82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was out of the house today and, after presenting the same for over a week, has taken a fairly aggressive turn. He is definitely sluggish and, for the first time ever, not interested in food. It seems there is something up with his gills or at least the area around there.

At this point my concern is for my other fish. Is it contagious, I have 2 clowns an YWG and some invertebrates.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH]

F00DBD3D-5735-4D41-89B7-6800A4904C8F.png

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok I was out of the house today and, after presenting the same for over a week, has taken a fairly aggressive turn. He is definitely sluggish and, for the first time ever, not interested in food. It seems there is something up with his gills or at least the area around there.

At this point my concern is for my other fish. Is it contagious, I have 2 clowns an YWG and some invertebrates.

View attachment 3040636
Seeing this very clear pic, it is indeed infected and requires immediate broad spectrum treatment of seachem kanaplex or Maracyn 2 with added aeration .

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 3040636
Per your question, this should not affect the other fish but as an assurance, you can add ruby rally pro to the tank which covers an array of issues and is reef safe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I’ve been traveling all day. I agree with the loss of appetite that you need to do something and antibiotics would be the clearest choice to try.
Jay

Avast
OP
OP
B

brclark82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how hard it is to catch even a sick melanarus! He in the quarantine and waiting for Kanaplex but no one locally had it so it won’t be here until tomorrow.

I have some API general cure…any thoughts on try that in the mean time? He’s not doing well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how hard it is to catch even a sick melanarus! He in the quarantine and waiting for Kanaplex but no one locally had it so it won’t be here until tomorrow.

I have some API general cure…any thoughts on try that in the mean time? He’s not doing well
I just don’t see any indication that the anti-parasite drugs in general cure would have any benefit in this case. Is the fish breathing fast? If not, I wouldn’t risk it. If it is breathing fast, fish can have multiple issues at the same time, so maybe does it?
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back