Medicated QT questions

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had ich in my 75 gal dt, letting it go fallow for 90 days. Terrified of getting another ich outbreak, so going to follow jays QT protocol.

Picking up a foxface tomorrow- is there one copper treatment better than the other or is it just preference? I have cupramine running in my other QT but it seems coppersafe is more popular/ “safer”? Any difference with Fritz vs mardel coppersafe?

In addition, is there any other tips anyone has? Lost 5 fish from the first ich outbreak, which I know mortality rate is higher, but I’m also sure I didn’t do everything perfect either. TIA you guys are very helpful!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Had ich in my 75 gal dt, letting it go fallow for 90 days. Terrified of getting another ich outbreak, so going to follow jays QT protocol.

Picking up a foxface tomorrow- is there one copper treatment better than the other or is it just preference? I have cupramine running in my other QT but it seems coppersafe is more popular/ “safer”? Any difference with Fritz vs mardel coppersafe?

In addition, is there any other tips anyone has? Lost 5 fish from the first ich outbreak, which I know mortality rate is higher, but I’m also sure I didn’t do everything perfect either. TIA you guys are very helpful!
Coppersafe is the safest form being chelated and set it at 2.25 level monitored with Hanna brand test kit
Optionally you can after 30 days apply prazi pro treatment
Purchase fish that are not new arrivals and eating in your presence

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tomorrow- is there one copper treatment better than the other or is it just preference? I have cupramine running in my other QT but it seems coppersafe is more popular/ “safer”? Any difference with Fritz vs mardel coppersafe?
Coppersafe and Copper Power are amine-chelated copper meds while Cupramine is an ionic copper - the ionic copper is harsher than the chelated stuff (chemically, they're different despite both being copper), and requires a much lower dosage; it also may not be tolerated as well as the chelated copper meds.

To my understanding, Fritz is the brand, Mardel Coppersafe is the official name, but everyone just knows it as Coppersafe.
Anything above 2.0 is therapeutic levels - 2.25-2.5 are the typical levels suggested in part to ensure the dose is high enough not to drop below 2.0. You probably don't want to go much higher than 2.5, as overdosing medication is generally a bad idea.
Like Sharkbait19 said ~1.4 mL per gallon.

Taken from BRS here:

"1.475 mL per gallon = 2.5 ppm"
Edit: To add: each 0.1 ppm would be 0.059 mL/gal.

(Also, for anyone curious with Coppersafe, it's 1.25 mL/gal = 2.5 ppm or 0.05 mL/gal = 0.1 ppm).

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is the safest form being chelated and set it at 2.25 level monitored with Hanna brand test kit
Optionally you can after 30 days apply prazi pro treatment
Purchase fish that are not new arrivals and eating in your presence
Yeah I picked one up, originally had the api color one and I tested it once and said what the heck is this lol and ordered one. The more complicated and sensitive fish I’ll order from dr reefs qt fish so I can skip this process

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe and Copper Power are amine-chelated copper meds while Cupramine is an ionic copper - the ionic copper is harsher than the chelated stuff (chemically, they're different despite both being copper), and requires a much lower dosage; it also may not be tolerated as well as the chelated copper meds.

To my understanding, Fritz is the brand, Mardel Coppersafe is the official name, but everyone just knows it as Coppersafe.
Gotcha, thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah I picked one up, originally had the api color one and I tested it once and said what the heck is this lol and ordered one. The more complicated and sensitive fish I’ll order from dr reefs qt fish so I can skip this process
Even with quarantined fish purchased, I recommend a 14-21 day quarantine period. Assume with shipping and transport they may have something…. Better safe than sorry

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
For sure I’ll do that, safe to not do medicated just an observation period?
Medicate. If something pops up let’s say in a week and tank was not medicated , you’ve allowed a given issue to gain control of the fish

eecummins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use copper sulfate pentahydrate stabilized with citric acid

0.20 mg/l for 30 days seems to get the job done for ich velvet

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back