+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd come in here to get some ideas and answers from knowledgeable people.

I have Red sea Max e 260 with rear sump and I'm thinking of upgrading to the in-cabinet sump. I'm going with the sump upgrade that comes with Red sea Max e 260 and I'm thinking of using Red Sea Reefer protein skimmer 600 and also want to use ReefMat500. As the upgrade doesn't come with return pump, I was thinking of going with Reef Octopus Varios 2 return pump as I read some thread that it would do the job just right. My questions are:

1. Is there enough room in the sump for all these equipments listed?
2. I'm reading something about sump modification kit. Do I need to modify the sump to fit the Reefmat500?
3. Can ReefMat500 and the protein skimmer go together? and do they need to go in certain arrangement in the sump? Any instruction or information from someone who has both of these devices will be great please.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the sump is definitely a worthwhile upgrade - highly recommended for a variety of reasons.

I think you'll be fine with a Red Sea RSK-300 and it should provide a smaller footprint. You definitely have room for a ReefMat 500 although you do need to modify the Max E-260 sump by removing the filter sock holders, so I suggest you get the Red Sea Sump Modification Kit and watch the online video tutorial. Yes, you can and should operate the ReefMat 500 and RSK-300 (etc.) in tandem. Regardless of where you locate your ReefMat, it will pre-filter everything before the water passes through to the RSK-300 skimmer (you have to connect the flexible hose to the main overflow return pipe and to the ReefMat 500).

The ReefMat500 is ambidextrous, meaning you can mount the hose and motor on either side of the unit for wherever it fits best. I currently run a ReefMat1200 which I upgraded to from a ReefMat 500 - both ran seamlessly and are recommended if you want to spend any amount of time away from your tank!

OP
OP
DKA

DKA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Blax for your very useful information. Much appreciated.

Are you sure the RSK-300 would do for mixed reef? I'm intending to keep soft/hard coral and good collection of marine fish. Reading from the specification, capacity of the tank will be just above 300litres and the spec for mixed reef for RSK-300 puts it at 300litre/80gallon. I haven't used this skimmer before but I see that it's in borderline. Are you sure its capable of doing the job?

Another questions please good sir.

Do you know that becomes of the original return pumps that sit at the bottom left and right rear sump? Do they still remain operational with in-cabinet sump? And if so, wouldn't they inject to much waterfloor in the display tank along with the outlet nozzle and therefore instability of correct water level? Out of curiousity, what return pump did you use?

And do you have any idea about using a section of the sump for refugium? I still want to use my RO reservoir I read that people use this section for refugium, but I would like to have both refugium and the RO reservoir in the sump if that's possible.

And the media rack at the bottom media basket of the ReefMat500. Where did you source these from?

And lastly, the flat rear sump cover. I read in the manual that its available option which will reduce noise and evaporation. Do you know where can I get a hold of one please?

(Sorry for too many questions, your help is indispensable)
Thanks

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly go with the larger RSK-600 skimmer - you'd have to get the sump dimensions to find out if this will still allow you enough space (I believe it will, but just double-check).

I believe those two pumps still operate to provide supplemental flow, but the upgrade kit would most likely explain what (if any) options you have. I have a Red Sea 750XXL and went with a Sicce SDC 9.0 WiFi DC return pump (you'd probably want the SDC 6.0 model).

I don't know if you'll have room for the RO reservoir, skimmer, ReefMat and refugium - I think you'll have to give up one. If you go with a ReefMat + skimmer you really don't need a refugium anyway.

The ReefMat comes with a built-in media basket underneath, but I don't recommend using it because it clogs up easily and can greatly increase fleece usage.

I'm not familiar with the flat rear sump cover, but I checked the spare parts section for the E-260 and couldn't find it. In the sump installation instructions it seems to indicate that it might be included with the sump upgrade kit, as the last install steps show that panel being installed.

Hope that helps somewhat.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back