Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where besides Liveaquaria MDD where I can buy a mated pair of shrimp gobies? They usually have pairs of Yashas, and I do like them, but it's a 120g tank so Id prefer a larger species.

20221216_172750.jpg

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where besides Liveaquaria MDD where I can buy a mated pair of shrimp gobies? They usually have pairs of Yashas, and I do like them, but it's a 120g tank so Id prefer a larger species.

View attachment 2941997
Your best bet is a fish store, or getting two juveniles of the Cryptocentrus genus and hoping they pair up. Other than that there’s not much you can really do other than be patient.
Also, I said the Cryptocentrus genus as this is the largest of the shrimp gobies and your larger species are going to be in this genus.

OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is a fish store, or getting two juveniles of the Cryptocentrus genus and hoping they pair up. Other than that there’s not much you can really do other than be patient.
Also, I said the Cryptocentrus genus as this is the largest of the shrimp gobies and your larger species are going to be in this genus.
That is the genus I had in mind unless someone had other suggestions. I really like the pink spot. I can never find them smaller than full size though and I've been told by several reefers to try for smaller ones to lessen risks when I introduce the shrimp.

AquaCave Logo Banner

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the LFS is a good route too - especially if you have one nearby that keeps several in a tank when they order them. I've got one near me that in the past 6 months has had a pinkbar goby pair and an diamond goby pair which I think came in as caught singles and the paired up in the tank.

You can also take a gamble and just get a second and introduce it - but it's going to be 50-50 or worse, and you absolutely want to introduce it in an acrylic isolation box for a day or two - I've had fish that eventually got along and paired up constantly fight when first introduced when not kept apart but in the same space.

OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the LFS is a good route too - especially if you have one nearby that keeps several in a tank when they order them. I've got one near me that in the past 6 months has had a pinkbar goby pair and an diamond goby pair which I think came in as caught singles and the paired up in the tank.

You can also take a gamble and just get a second and introduce it - but it's going to be 50-50 or worse, and you absolutely want to introduce it in an acrylic isolation box for a day or two - I've had fish that eventually got along and paired up constantly fight when first introduced when not kept apart but in the same space.
Both of my local salt stores keep almost all gobies in seperated tanks. But I may just have to try the second method once I redo my rockscape. This would be so much easier if the other half wasn't creeped by engineer gobies. That was my other option for bottom dweller for the tank. (Always taking suggestions though.) I'm trying to keep this pretty lightly stocked. My 140g system has less fish than a lot of people's 55s rn.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Neptune
Back