Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Trachy on Sunday from my LFS, did a quick Dip and plopped him where I thought was most appropriate (based on Tidal Garden’s video about them). I’ve fed him twice since then, once on Sunday night and once yesterday, I know that’s slightly more frequent than recommended but I want to get him fat and happy given he just went through a stressful move. Today I got home from work and he is massively inflated. My girlfriend said the Turbo snail was around him all day which I imagine has something to do with it but I want to make sure this much inflation is not unusual. Don’t want to have to call in Chairman Powell (couldn’t resist). Anyway Is this anything to worry about? Ignore the diatom bloom, it’s a new tank and I recently turned my lights on the full blast after a 2.5 month dark phase.

Before:
27B3ED1D-AA57-4ACF-9788-D1546BEB5008.jpeg

DC5F6436-A6D5-4779-B6D7-E76391426EB5.jpeg

After:
13E4EEF2-3266-4426-B763-D47A67A717C8.jpeg
4623DFE0-C0D7-4442-ABEA-75F13724549D.jpeg

BRS
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those bubble on your rocks are super suspect. You might have Dino’s
I’ve been thinking about that. Here’s the thing, I’m running a UV so I was leaning against Dinos but I know some species of Dino’s don’t release into the water column and thus a UV isn’t effective. The other thing is my snails eats whatever it is. I was under the impressions Dinos kill snails (although I have lost 2 of my ~15 in the last week or so) and so I assume the won’t eat em. Buttttt, I did buy a microscope a few days ago. A cheep $60 one of Amazon that supposedly shows 1000x magnification. I tried to figure it out but I don’t exactly know what I’m looking for, google images didn’t really help me. Have you gone through this? Could you maybe point me to a specific image of what im looking for?

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be happy, or trying to push the rock away, or itself away from the rock.

Sometimes they like to have a solid open space to themselves.
View attachment 3134412
View attachment 3134413
Thanks for the advice, yea I kinda get the feeling he’s claustrophobic with that one rock jutting into him, I may move him a few inches away. What do you think?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, yea I kinda get the feeling he’s claustrophobic with that one rock jutting into him, I may move him a few inches away. What do you think?
I would, and have moved mine when that happens. But as you said, a few inches and not a new location. As that trachy looks happy. Just wants a bit more space.

Sometimes, they like to just expand.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, and have moved mine when that happens. But as you said, a few inches and not a new location. As that trachy looks happy. Just wants a bit more space.

Sometimes, they like to just expand.
Got it, thanks a lot

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ReefingDreams

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about that. Here’s the thing, I’m running a UV so I was leaning against Dinos but I know some species of Dino’s don’t release into the water column and thus a UV isn’t effective. The other thing is my snails eats whatever it is. I was under the impressions Dinos kill snails (although I have lost 2 of my ~15 in the last week or so) and so I assume the won’t eat em. Buttttt, I did buy a microscope a few days ago. A cheep $60 one of Amazon that supposedly shows 1000x magnification. I tried to figure it out but I don’t exactly know what I’m looking for, google images didn’t really help me. Have you gone through this? Could you maybe point me to a specific image of what im looking for?
It's diatoms from just now turning your lights on. Expensive coral for one of your first. Looks healthy. If it maintains color and continues to inflate during the photoperiod, you should be in good shape. Enjoy the tank!

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 isn’t that cheap. Some people use even cheaper ones.

One thing is checking to see if your nitrate and phosphate are showing 0. That can be a clue.

it can be kind of hard to do if you’ve never used a microscope before but it’s doable. The are small circles and they scoot around. There would be a lot of them

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's diatoms from just now turning your lights on. Expensive coral for one of your first. Looks healthy. If it maintains color and continues to inflate during the photoperiod, you should be in good shape. Enjoy the tank!
I could be wrong but I’ve never seen diatoms with stringy bubbles like that. I could be wrong. I apologize if I am.

5F7C153A-1411-4502-8323-2324490C1F1E.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Fingers crossed your right about the algae. Yea I would never have bought such a nice coral while my tank is in its infancy but a freshwater LFS that has a small frag tank in the back had this guy listed for $250, they didn’t really know what it was. I checked Tidal Gardens and comparable ones were going for $585! It’s at least 6x6 when fully inflated, couldn’t say no to that deal! And they are fairly hardy from what I understand. I never go their for anything other than heaters, air pumps, etc since it’s predominantly freshwater. I just don’t think they really knew it’s market value (or maybe I’m the fool here boasting about a deal that they got the better end of :))!

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 isn’t that cheap. Some people use even cheaper ones.

One thing is checking to see if your nitrate and phosphate are showing 0. That can be a clue.

it can be kind of hard to do if you’ve never used a microscope before but it’s doable. The are small circles and they scoot around. There would be a lot of them
Well there are many small circular things jostling around in that video, but I’ve always had the impression that’s just the microscopic world in general! They perhaps nail in the coffin is, my phosphates did hit zero for a day or two (they hover between .03-.08), however this was after the outbreak. I am going to try some of the other non-microscope methods and then give that microscope another shot and see if I can figure it out

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back