Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just picked up this dragonet a bit over a week ago and just noticed these white spots. She's been a little hesitant to eat but is eating frozen brine. Also noticed a couple really small white dots on my royal Gramma. My pair of clowns seem to be fine so far. Everyone is eating fine other than the dragonet which I know they're a bit fussy. I ordered some polyplab medic, I'm just wondering is this Ich or velvet? Everyone is eating fine other than the fussiness of the dragonet. This is my DT so that's why I got the polyplab medic as it's reef safe

20230227_203608.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello, just picked up this dragonet a bit over a week ago and just noticed these white spots. She's been a little hesitant to eat but is eating frozen brine. Also noticed a couple really small white dots on my royal Gramma. My pair of clowns seem to be fine so far. Everyone is eating fine other than the dragonet which I know they're a bit fussy.

View attachment 3042444
This may be either sand on fins as they have heavy slime coating or even Lympho. I dont see this as ich

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be either sand on fins as they have heavy slime coating or even Lympho. I dont see this as ich
Yeah that's why I'm a bit confused. I did see a couple really tiny white dots on the fins of my Gramma but my pair of clowns have been great and everyone is eating like normal. No one is flashing or anything either

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just popped the light on to target feed him/her a bit and here's a video. I do see the lighter grayish spots but ik they kinda loose color when the lights are off so it could be just from that. Also yes I'm aware he/she is a bit thin at the moment he/she just started eating the other day took a bit to get used to the tank.

Attachments

• 20230227_205653.mp4
    25.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are pretty resistant to ich, this could be sand or other less serious things.
However, the fish is pretty thin, so you’ll need to really chuck the food to this fellow.
Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are pretty resistant to ich, this could be sand or other less serious things.
However, the fish is pretty thin, so you’ll need to really chuck the food to this fellow.
Jay
Yeah it just started eating for me the other day finally. I'm very glad it's eating frozen food though! I have a jar of pods coming in this week to repopulate the tank a bit as well. And I'm also in the process of trying to make one of those Paul B brine shrimp feeders.

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
So he still has spots on him today idk if it's just sand or what. That polyplab medic just showed up today should I go ahead and start dosing the tank with it?

Avast

Reeflix

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are definitly odd, if it is flukes (not sure about this ID at all, lets see what an expert has to say about what it is) do a freshwater dip for 5 minutes, assuming it is flukes (again, not certain at all) the dip will make the parasites fly off! it is really satisfying. the pics are a bit grainy but the lumps do look clear. i dont know of fish will cover grains of sand with their slime coat but that is what it looks like to me

AS

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so what should I do then.

This is a neon goby I bought years ago infested with flukes, as you can see it looks similar but mandarins also have a lot of slime so I can't say 100%.

1677640815248.png

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a neon goby I bought years ago infested with flukes, as you can see it looks similar but mandarins also have a lot of slime so I can't say 100%.

View attachment 3043906
I see what you're saying I don't see that on him today also the white spots as of right now seem to be gone. I don't want to stress him out and net him outta the tank as there's a lot of rocks and such and I don't have a reason to do so. I don't see any odd behavior on any of my fish other than the mandarin just being picky with food. I did just make a Paul B brine shrimp feeder and placed that in the tank with some live brine shrimp I just hatched. I can just see some sand stuck to the edge of his fins at the moment. Like I said everyone else in the tank seems to be totally fine there are a couple super tiny white specs on the tail fin of my royal Gramma but they seem to not be moving around they're always in the same spot. Ich doesn't tend to stay in the same spot I don't think it tends to fall off and such.

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep updating the thread if I happen to notice anything different i guess. I just saw the white dots the other day and was a bit spooked is all maybe just jumping to conclusions. I do have a QT tank but I opted not to toss the mandarin in it. Read mixed things about how a mandarin would do in a QT so decided to take a chance as the tank only has 3 other fish in it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he still has spots on him today idk if it's just sand or what. That polyplab medic just showed up today should I go ahead and start dosing the tank with it?
Yes, that product is not always effective, but it is reef and mandarin safe.
Jay

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So day 10 just went by and so far see a couple spots on the mandarin and the Royal gramma is covered in tiny white specs pair of clownfish seem fine. I'm assuming its time to pull them and treat with copper. Everyone is eating normally except the gramma only eats a small amount then goes and hides its really hard for me to get a picture I'll try and upload one tomorrow. Any thoughts @Jay Hemdal

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So day 10 just went by and so far see a couple spots on the mandarin and the Royal gramma is covered in tiny white specs pair of clownfish seem fine. I'm assuming its time to pull them and treat with copper. Everyone is eating normally except the gramma only eats a small amount then goes and hides its really hard for me to get a picture I'll try and upload one tomorrow. Any thoughts @Jay Hemdal
This is a sticky situation - it does sound like the medic didn’t work. Coppersafe in a QT would be best for the other fish, but with that mandarin being skinny to begin with, I’m not confident of it making it through the 30 day copper treatment. Also, there is an issue with changing treatments - since time was lost trying the medic, and because copper takes 3 days to start working, that allows the parasites to gain more ground with the fish….
Jay

OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a sticky situation - it does sound like the medic didn’t work. Coppersafe in a QT would be best for the other fish, but with that mandarin being skinny to begin with, I’m not confident of it making it through the 30 day copper treatment. Also, there is an issue with changing treatments - since time was lost trying the medic, and because copper takes 3 days to start working, that allows the parasites to gain more ground with the fish….
Jay
Well my mandarin and clownfish pair have been good I've hardly seen anything on the mandarin and haven't seen a single thing on the clowns. Just woke up and the Gramma isn't doing well unfortunately I don't think he's gonna make it through the day. I have some copper power on hand I don't have a copper tester on hand yet however. What about hyposalinity I heard that works for Ich? And the mandarin maybe able to handle that?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back