Mantis Behaviour

beautifulbriny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m new to Mantis shrimps and I’m trying to find information about their behaviour, specifically in order to tell if they’re stressed/happy. I just bought an Australian gonodactylaceus species (unsure which specifically, seems to be a graphurus to me) for an established reef tank and would like to be able to tell what level of stress is normal.

Any general advice as a new owner would also be great.

Thank you in advance.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm not an expert on Matids or your specific species. I have kept a Florida Neogonodactylus wennerae for some time.

What is going on with your guy? Is he eating? I'd say if it's eating it's fairly happy and well adjusted. These animals tend to be very hardy and can tolerate a good amount of stress. If it's brand new to your tank, it may just need a few days to get comfortable. Is there something specific that has you worried?

OP
OP
beautifulbriny

beautifulbriny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm not an expert on Matids or your specific species. I have kept a Florida Neogonodactylus wennerae for some time.

What is going on with your guy? Is he eating? I'd say if it's eating it's fairly happy and well adjusted. These animals tend to be very hardy and can tolerate a good amount of stress. If it's brand new to your tank, it may just need a few days to get comfortable. Is there something specific that has you worried?
Thanks! I’m not worried about anything in particular. He’s brand new and I noticed him moving around a lot and then sitting very still without exploring his temporary burrow when I first put him in (I noticed this behaviour at the pet shop with another mantis when the guy tipped him out of his burrow so I assume that’s general stress but nothing to worry about). I turned off the lights and let him be and he’s now pretty happy.

I mostly want to know for my own general knowledge in future in case I need to tell if he’s sick or something in the tank is messing with him.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m not worried about anything in particular. He’s brand new and I noticed him moving around a lot and then sitting very still without exploring his temporary burrow when I first put him in (I noticed this behaviour at the pet shop with another mantis when the guy tipped him out of his burrow so I assume that’s general stress but nothing to worry about). I turned off the lights and let him be and he’s now pretty happy.

I mostly want to know for my own general knowledge in future in case I need to tell if he’s sick or something in the tank is messing with him.
Glad to hear he's doing well now. Like I said, they are usually pretty hardy and can handle a bit of stress.

As far as anything else in the tank messing with your mantis, that is pretty unlikely. Usually, the Mantis will be the aggressor and will kill just about anything else you try to keep with them. For this reason, I think most people keep a mantis in a tank by itself, but you're milage may vary.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back