Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how many pods mine eats in my 75 with a 10 gallon fuge, you will need to plan for supplimenting availability of live foods.

It will do fone in a 20 long, but with how frequently they eat, I think even if you get one that accepts pellets or frozen, that you will need to make sure it has a constant supply of pods at least a little beyond what would be capable of naturally reproducing in a 20 with no fuge.

Personally, I would constantly be hatching brine, as that might be more economical than buying copepods, but if you culture pods you are set.

Food concerns aside, I think a 20 long is not a bad size, give it lots of rock surface area to poke at.

Edit: mine has yet to eat anything other than live food consistently, maybe if you got one that ate pellets, maybe the constant food source would be unnecessary, I don't know honestly.

CLICK TO VIEW

SeaHorseQueen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a 20g H and hatch bbs all the time plus culture copepods. He’ll hunt all day.
AFF968EF-7E5D-4ECC-BD2A-A43A2A86F9E1.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size wise it's probably ok but man those fish can eat. I have a very mature 80g system and I still have to add a jar of pods each week. That's 100 bucks a month.
No fuge? If you do, I solved ny lack of pods issues by no longer manually removing algaes ans letting the pods build up there population, and stopped using filter socks.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fuge? If you do, I solved ny lack of pods issues by no longer manually removing algaes ans letting the pods build up there population, and stopped using filter socks.
Yea I have a thriving fuge with pods. But they have to swim by the skimmer chamber and bubble trap to make it to the return pump chamber.

Avast

PA-Chris

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put my mandarin goby to a 20 gallon long tank?
Food source is more important than tank size for mandarins. The live shrimp mentioned is good source to keep them going in my experience. I have mine in A 32 gallon fujicube. He is now eating frozen baby brine shrimp from hikari. Hope this helps.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have a thriving fuge with pods. But they have to swim by the skimmer chamber and bubble trap to make it to the return pump chamber.

That should at least help a lot, if I feel like I have a pod shirtage in ny display, I shut off filtration in between the fuge and return and shake my aqua mech and chaeto to make some go through. I don't know if it works for sure, but seems to. My only filtration in between the 2 is a carbon reactor though.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food source is more important than tank size for mandarins. The live shrimp mentioned is good source to keep them going in my experience. I have mine in A 32 gallon fujicube. He is now eating frozen baby brine shrimp from hikari. Hope this helps.
Do you have to feed the frozen food frequently through the day to keeo it fed? I hear about how little food they can consume at a time and wondered if it was possible to have a very pod limited environment and still keep a mandarin going on just a few feedings a day

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup thanks tho I have a lots of phyto and copepods culture

PA-Chris

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to feed the frozen food frequently through the day to keeo it fed? I hear about how little food they can consume at a time and wondered if it was possible to have a very pod limited environment and still keep a mandarin going on just a few feedings a day
I have only been feeding two times a day, but turn off fulters for 30 minutes to give the frozen food a chance to cycle through and the mandarin time to find it. Has been working so far. Have had the little guy a few months. I hope this helps. They are really cool little fish.

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only been feeding two times a day, but turn off fulters for 30 minutes to give the frozen food a chance to cycle through and the mandarin time to find it. Has been working so far. Have had the little guy a few months. I hope this helps. They are really cool little fish.
Thanks mate, I’m excited to that guy lol

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back