+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day,

My 66 gallon tank utilizes two canister filters FX-4 and SunSun. The only carbon is an impregnated carbon filter/pad which sits bottom most position of the FX-4 to prevent debris from entering the pump/impeller. The FX-4 carbon pad hasn't been replaced but cleaned throughout these last eight months of my reef/tank. I purchased around 22 ounces of Marineland activated carbon and was planning to place the carbon in mesh bags then install the bags in the SunSun canister. At this time both the FX-4 and SunSun are filled with Fluval bio media. The FX-4 holds around 3.5 gallons of volume and the SunSun est. 1.5 gallons (I'll replace the bio media in the SunSun.) My question was whether a desirable amount of activated carbon exists and if too much was possible? Are there any negatives which might occur from adding activated carbon? Any suggestions?

Note: I haven't any issues at this time. Minor algae of the long hair variety and amount seemingly depends on light spectrum and duration but under control. I was hoping to maintain/help sustain this point of desirable cycle/evolution. At this time fauna as well macro plants (Mermaid's Wine Glass etc) are appearing.

Thanks!
W.T.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can overdose GAC, particularly if low quality (soft, high amount of dust). This has been associated with HLLE (head and lateral line erosion). Lignite is softest and has most dust but also has largest pore size which can be good for certain compounds. Bituminous is harder with less dust but smaller pore size. BRS (of course) sells GAC called ROX 0.8. Which is pelletized hard carbon with large and small pore size (for benefits of both Lignite and Bituminous) with very low dust. It's advertised that Pharma companies use it to create pristine water (no reason to doubt it, but haven't checked).

If the carbon your using doesn't say what it is, I'd pick one that does. If you want to use it anyway, I'd rinse it well until runs clear and be careful not to overdose. Installing in canister should be fine, just make sure it doesn't tumble which will grind GAC to powder.

What I personally like to do is use the ROX 0.8 following any good dosing directions (plenty of websites) divide it in half into two bags staggered 2 weeks apart so I always have fresh GAC but also not taking out if still useful. Does it really matter? Hard to say, but it is logical and follows general assumptions most reefers have in using GAC.

OP
OP
W

wil-yuhm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can overdose GAC, particularly if low quality (soft, high amount of dust). This has been associated with HLLE (head and lateral line erosion). Lignite is softest and has most dust but also has largest pore size which can be good for certain compounds. Bituminous is harder with less dust but smaller pore size. BRS (of course) sells GAC called ROX 0.8. Which is pelletized hard carbon with large and small pore size (for benefits of both Lignite and Bituminous) with very low dust. It's advertised that Pharma companies use it to create pristine water (no reason to doubt it, but haven't checked).

If the carbon your using doesn't say what it is, I'd pick one that does. If you want to use it anyway, I'd rinse it well until runs clear and be careful not to overdose. Installing in canister should be fine, just make sure it doesn't tumble which will grind GAC to powder.

What I personally like to do is use the ROX 0.8 following any good dosing directions (plenty of websites) divide it in half into two bags staggered 2 weeks apart so I always have fresh GAC but also not taking out if still useful. Does it really matter? Hard to say, but it is logical and follows general assumptions most reefers have in using GAC.

Thank you Quietman.
Enjoy

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back