+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Joined this hobby for three years now, and suffering PH problem for three years. Recently I found I could use MaO to increase PH and might be better than calcium hydroxide or Kalkwasser, because it doesn’t affect Ca and Alk. The chemical theory as below:

MgO + H2O = =Mg(OH)2

I trued this method and it really worked, so wondering if this will produce any side effects?

I used Kalkwasser before, my tank is small, and it doesn’t work very well, because my tank does not require that much of fresh water.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Joined this hobby for three years now, and suffering PH problem for three years. Recently I found I could use MaO to increase PH and might be better than calcium hydroxide or Kalkwasser, because it doesn’t affect Ca and Alk. The chemical theory as below:

MgO + H2O = =Mg(OH)2

I trued this method and it really worked, so wondering if this will produce any side effects?

I used Kalkwasser before, my tank is small, and it doesn’t work very well, because my tank does not require that much of fresh water.

It raises alkalinity exactly the same as kalkwasser.

The obvious issues are rising magnesium, which limits what you can dose since it is so slowly depleted, and it is very insoluble so you will have to dose solids to the aquarium water.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MgO + H2O = =Mg(OH)2

The hydroxide from this equation behaves exactly like the hydroxide in calcium or sodium hydroxide. From Randy's article on limewater:

OH- + CO2 => HCO3-
OH- + HCO3- => CO3-- + H2O

If you want to manage pH without raising alkalinity, there is no other way but to control CO2 in your tank and/or in your home. Having said that, the pH boost from a DIY two-part with NaOH is very powerful. An additive like this may help significantly if used routinely to supplement your alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make the point more general, it is not possible to add anything normal to seawater that raises pH that will not also raise alkalinity.

The only way to raise pH and not boost alkalinity is to somehow remove CO2 from the water.

OP
OP
L

lany2008

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydroxide from this equation behaves exactly like the hydroxide in calcium or sodium hydroxide. From Randy's article on limewater:

OH- + CO2 => HCO3-
OH- + HCO3- => CO3-- + H2O

If you want to manage pH without raising alkalinity, there is no other way but to control CO2 in your tank and/or in your home. Having said that, the pH boost from a DIY two-part with NaOH is very powerful. An additive like this may help significantly if used routinely to supplement your alkalinity.
Many thanks!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back