Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I just moved a Maculiceps tang into my display from QT and had some serious aggression from a C. striatus already in the tank. So I put in the mesh divider, and the more I look at the Maculiceps (which is on the right) I am doubting it is one. Right now I am thinking they are both Ctenochaetus genus tangs. Sure I see some freckles on the tang on the right in the video, but the dorsal and anal fins aren’t rounded and the tail lacks a distinct white band right before the fin. I’ve done some checking on photos and sure Maculiceps change appearance from juvenile to adult, but can some of you have had a juvenile Maculiceps take a look and let me know? I was not expecting such persistent aggression from different genus of tangs…. but I am thinking the aggression is because they are in fact the same genus…

Thoughts?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    24.6 MB
Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I just moved a Maculiceps tang into my display from QT and had some serious aggression from a C. striatus already in the tank. So I put in the mesh divider, and the more I look at the Maculiceps (which is on the right) I am doubting it is one. Right now I am thinking they are both Ctenochaetus family tangs. Sure I see some freckles on the tang on the right in the video, but the dorsal and anal fins aren’t rounded and the tail lacks a distinct white band right before the fin. I’ve done some checking on photos and sure Maculiceps change appearance from juvenile to adult, but can some of you have had a juvenile Maculiceps take a look and let me know? I was not expecting such persistent aggression from different genus of tangs…. but I am thinking the aggression is because they are in fact the same family…

Thoughts?
I cant see the video, do you have photos?

Also, just a small thing;
The family is Acanthuridae, all fangs are from this family however they’re split into 6 different genera;
Paracanthurus
Acanthurus
Prionurus
Ctenochaetus
Zebrasoma
Naso

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imgur link for mobile users
Hello everyone. I just moved a Maculiceps tang into my display from QT and had some serious aggression from a C. striatus already in the tank. So I put in the mesh divider, and the more I look at the Maculiceps (which is on the right) I am doubting it is one. Right now I am thinking they are both Ctenochaetus family tangs. Sure I see some freckles on the tang on the right in the video, but the dorsal and anal fins aren’t rounded and the tail lacks a distinct white band right before the fin. I’ve done some checking on photos and sure Maculiceps change appearance from juvenile to adult, but can some of you have had a juvenile Maculiceps take a look and let me know? I was not expecting such persistent aggression from different genus of tangs…. but I am thinking the aggression is because they are in fact the same family…

Thoughts?
Imgur link for mobile users:

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imgur link for mobile users

Imgur link for mobile users:
That is definitely not a Acanthurus maculiceps and is instead a Ctenochaetus binotatus. Which explains why your Ctenochaetus striatus hates it, they’re not only the same genus but also relatively close cousins compared to other Ctenochaetus species.

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see the video, do you have photos?

Also, just a small thing;
The family is Acanthuridae, all fangs are from this family however they’re split into 6 different genera;
Paracanthurus
Acanthurus
Prionurus
Ctenochaetus
Zebrasoma
Naso
Just added an imgur link that should work, and edited family to genus (which I think is accurate )

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely not a Acanthurus maculiceps and is instead a Ctenochaetus binotatus. Which explains why your Ctenochaetus striatus hates it, they’re not only the same genus but also relatively close cousins compared to other Ctenochaetus species.
Thanks for confirming! I’ve owned Maculiceps before - but generally larger specimens. I assumed this was just a juvenile, but the over the top aggression is what really wanted to make sure I’m not crazy!! Sigh. Now to get the fish trap, and fire up the QT tank for another two months…. Sometimes this hobby man….

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back