Macro in Sump - How Much Flow is Needed?

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to set up a little refugium with some LR rubble and macroalgae BUT my sump is relatively small and has pretty low flow. Do macroalgaes prefer the low flow? Or does it need a little movement? 13 years ago the hot macro was Chaeto and a lot of people were either recommending a "swirling" flow to keep the ball moving, while others recommended zero flow.

I know the hobby has really changed in the span of 13 years, so which one is it? Is a decent flow required for macro algaes? Or do they prefer low and slow?

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty low flow through mine and the chaeto does fine. If anything the low flow seems to let it just spread out rather than bunch up.

I got this chaeto as a 1” long single strand that came with other macro algae and now it fills the refugium portion of the sump.

Math time:

Based on the pump flow vs head chart there’s around 250gph going through a 20g sump - so about 33.5cu.ft/hour. The cross section of the refugium portion is about 1 square foot, so flow speed is 33.5/3600 x 12 = ~0.1 inch/second…

IMG_2124.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back