Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started using a dip recipe using lugols, I used 2-3 drops per gallon of freshwater. After a while the recommended dosage seems to have been bumped up to 5-6 drops per gallon of freshwater.
Not long ago I talked with another zoanthid addict and he said that 10-12 drops per gallon of freshwater is more effective.
I used this amount 3 different times and had good success, however a person I recommened this too said that he did the dip on several colonies that were infected with nudi's, using this dosage, and he has lost about 30% of the zoanthids on some of the rocks and total loss one.
I have emailed a few other people and asked privately about this and some have told me they even use more.

I'm curious, do other people use more than the 5-6 drops per gallon?
How much is too much?

I did a dip on some ppe's using 10 drops of lugols and 3 drops of FWE in about 3/4 of a gallon of freshwater 3 weeks ago and they came out fine.

How many drops?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, 10 drops for a freshwater dip? thats crazy, waaaaaaaay too concentrated. i think its doing more harm than good personally.

with my dips, i only use b/w 3-5 drops per gallon of FRESHWATER.

if there are hitchikers on the colony, it will take a couple of minutes to kill them off. but i like this method the most. i use either 3 drops or 5 drops, depends on the condition of the colony and how much "junk" is on them.

i like this dosage, b/c it gives me a chance to save the good hithikers (i.e. brittle stars etc.) i've even found a baby linkia starfish on a colony before. it was just a skinny arm that had fallen off a starfish and grown into a new starfish somehow. it was a greenish blue color. kinda neato.

if you use a more concentrated dose, IMO you can't save any of those neat finds.

however, i did do a little experiment doing the dip in SALTWATER. i used up to 20 drops per gallon of saltwater, and it still would not kill off anything noticeable off the colony.

so maybe some people are getting this mixed up with a freshwater dip? i dunno

also, if i notice the zoas have some funky fungus or something on the outside of the polyps. i'll notice that after i do the dip i can peal this stuff off the polyps VERY CAREFULLY. i use a dissection scalpel and/or probe for this. i did this on an AOG next gen frag from mrchriskim that was a single polyp, and developed zoa pox a week after i got it. i dipped it, peeled away the infected part and excised out the puss, and am proud to say the single polyp recovered and just put out a baby. i'm positive it would not have made it if i had not done anything.

can we say zoa surgery? lol ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That is the coolest welcome sign.:)

I agree they get stressed, but unless they are under severe attack by a critter, they usually recover.

How many drops of lugols would you use?

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, welcome mfinn. i'm so used to seeing you over on RC I didnt realize this was your first post over here on Club Zoa.

glad to have you!!!

I confess to bein a lurker.
I was one on rc for a year before I got brave.lol

AquaCave Logo Banner

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i doubt there is an expiration date. the stuff won't go b ad very easily. no way anything could contaminate it such as bacteria or anything that lives and grows.

coralnutz, did you see my comment about how i added 20drops per gallon of saltwater and it didnt kill anything?

i can't give any chemical explanation for this. no clue. may want to ask that over on the chemistry forum on RC and see what someone says. if someone does that post the link here, i'd like to know the reason. ;)

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was reading the directions and it was saying 40 drops per gallon of aquarium water for dips. What's the difference between adding it to saltwater or freshwater. Seems like 10 drops/gallon would be pretty light compared to what they are suggesting.

I really don't know though I'm just winging it.

Oh yeah and welcome to the site mfinn. :)

Thanks,

That would be a good question for a chemistry forum.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

twon8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. I have search access and I do searches for a ton of people, if anyone ever needs something looked up shoot me a PM.

I've always used 5 drops per gal & given the frag 5 mins in it??

So are people using say 20 drops, but only dipping the frag for a min??

Cheers Shelton.

no, i dip for 5-10 minutes.

twon8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys actually mix up a whole gallon at a time to do the dips? I normally only do a few cups of FW for a small frag, and a drop of lugols.

usually a liter for a rock, 200ml for a frag. dont' think i have ever used a gallon

AS
OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion
Back