+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank noobie here..
I started my IM Fusion 20 about 9 months ago. Lots of ups and downs but my current issue is low nitrate and phosphate. Concerned that the algae is gobbling it all up. Nitrate is currently reading 1-2ppm and phos at 0.08ish. How can I raise my nutrients up? More CUC to eat the algae? I currently feed pellets in morning and a whole frozen cube in the evening.

Stocked currently:
2 clowns
1 YWG (missing for 3 days)
Tiger conch
Small RBTA
Handful of snails

Nutramar Foods

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned that the algae is gobbling it all up
I'm of the belief that it is. Any that you remove should have an impact on those nutrients (all other things kept the same) making them available elsewhere (for corals or even other nuisance algae). Fwiw your picture link isn't working (can't expand it for a better view)

OP
OP
J

JWright0291

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FBF72A46-3D18-47F6-B900-9A0361726402.jpeg
8B1615E5-BF66-4FD5-9A6F-C4E5D91063E3.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
J

JWright0291

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the belief that it is. Any that you remove should have an impact on those nutrients (all other things kept the same) making them available elsewhere (for corals or even other nuisance algae). Fwiw your picture link isn't working (can't expand it for a better view)
Thank you
I tried to reupload them in a reply above. Let me know if that helps.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's better. Idk if its just the camera angle but I'd start with scrubbing the algae off your hammer. Keep algae away from the corals; they are not friends (at the microscopic level). But yeah, if you scrub and siphon that stuff out...check your N and P before, do the work and wait a few hours and check those numbers again (again without changing feeding, etc as that's just another variable).

As far as cuc, you have more than me...so Idk. I'm of the belief there CAN be too many cuc; a balance is needed. But you are however the biggest member of that cuc; the snails, etc should only be relied on to do the finishing touches when algae is visibly present imo

resortez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 month, you should have been past the ugly phase by now. In my experience, those ugly algae are do to a lack of divers micro fauna, beneficial bacteria that out compete the algae for nutrients. There’s a turf war at the microscopic level & if more complex organisms have not colonized your rock, sand, bio media, filter floss, anywhere where it can set anchor to live, colonize & reproduce the weaker single cell bacteria will remain in your system with no competition, having full reign of your tank. In my personal experience, the goal is to develop a massive diversity of life in the system, organisms that can’t be seen with the naked eye but are essential & beneficial to the health of the inclosed ecosystem, there are levels to these environments & looks like your tank is still struggling to get out of level 2-3, if that makes sense. My approach would be to run the skimmer dry. From the pics, looks like the skimmer is running extremely wet by how translucent the skimmate looks. I would go as far as to put it in a timer & running the skimmer for no more than 8 hours a day during the hours of feeding. If your running carbon, I would do half the recommended dose for your system. Atleast run full light spectrum for a minimum of 4 hours a day & definitely introduced more fish. Hope it helps, good luck

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @resortez on the diversity aspect and tactics.

The fact remains however that algae IS present and needs to be dealt with and for that I recommend simply removing it from the system. Then you can dial in as suggested with the skimmer, etc to better control nutrients. Keep in mind however corals need nutrients so its a balancing act between algae and coral at this point imo. Maybe more coral is needed to tip the scales in their favor...just a theory. Good luck!

resortez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @resortez on the diversity aspect and tactics.

The fact remains however that algae IS present and needs to be dealt with and for that I recommend simply removing it from the system. Then you can dial in as suggested with the skimmer, etc to better control nutrients. Keep in mind however corals need nutrients so its a balancing act between algae and coral at this point imo. Maybe more coral is needed to tip the scales in their favor...just a theory. Good luck!
Yes, highly agree it’s a constant balancing act. Give & take, feeding what is essential & starving pests.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back