Low nutrients after using roller filter?

BRS

kartrsu

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had issues with low nutrients after installing a roller filter? I feed my 60 gallon aquarium pretty heavily which is stocked with a yellow tang, 2 clownfish, 2 anthias, 1 damselfish, 1 Cardinal, 1 mandarin, 1 firefish and 1 neongoby. I’ve always had a presence of nitrates, but since installing my ReefMat, I have to dose nitrates to keep levels up. I go through about 5ppm of nitrate per week.

Avast

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I run an Aquamaxx, stock roll is 50 microns. I switched using a cutdown Red Sea roll ( approx 200 microns) and it has helped. I had a few AM rolls left and I went from a RS roll to a AM roll and I swear my nutrients crashed and I got Dinos overnight.
Now people can use this info to modify their system to dial in your nutrients. I am sure lack of nutrients using a roller filter is more likely on a smaller system and the size of your filter roller. I feel on a larger system you wouldn’t be able to pull the amount of nutrients because the water column is just too large.
I was thinking also, to link my filter with my Apex, to turn on, let's say, 15 mins every hour? Start from there and see where that goes.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Black Label Aquatics
Back