+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm currently battling and algae outbreak since roughly 3 months. I just started a new nano tank at the beginning of the year - everything seemed great after cycling. However, currently there is an algae outbreak I can't seem to fix. First of some parameters of my tank:

Density: 1.024 (SG 32)
Temperature: 25 °C
Light: RedSea ReefLED 90 (65% blue, 55% white)

Alkalinity: 7.5 dkH
Calcium: 450 ppm
PH: 7.5 ... 8
PO4: 0 ppm
NO3: 1 ppm
Silicate: 0 ppm

I have brown/greenish film and some algae like gha on my rocks, which I currently remove mechanically and filter subsequently every three days. But it grows back fast. At first I was thinking it is some kind of dino problem, due to my low nutrients in the tank. However, an UV cleaner and Vibrant and the stop of water changes (no more trace elements) didn't help much. I also have some kind of white/brown film on my glass which is growing back every ~15min after removing it. While removing it seems to be very fine like dust. Also, I have very low nutrients - I tried to raise them with feeding more and also du supplement PO4 and NO3 in liquid form. This didn't help much strangely as PO4 and NO3 stayed at 0 ppm and 1 ppm. For PO4 I used different brands of tests.

The algae seem to irritate the corals as well. They are sometimes not openining up fully.

For my salt water, I used different brands of salt and RO/DI water. So this shouldn't be any problem.

Some pictures are attached. Does anyone has an idea on how to fix this problem? I'm currently running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7702.jpg IMG_7703.jpg IMG_7705.jpg IMG_7707.jpg IMG_7708.jpg IMG_7709.jpg IMG_7710.jpg IMG_7711.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

Kfactor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose brightwells po4 and no3 I find it really helps . I find I can never get me po4 up but dosing it seems to really help me out . You can also try running skimmer 12 on 12 off

OP
OP
Soilbreaker

Soilbreaker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually what did help my situation as well. Dose manually NO3 and PO4 according to the Redfield ratio. Yet I have to keep track on PO4 as I have to dose this plenty of times.

Also manually cleaning/brushing the stones and having a good mechanical filtration helps.

snowhite

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less skimmer and less refugium light time often solves problems like this without having to dose.
People are conditioned to think "healthy" and "successfull" tank have a tightly packed sump full of technogadgets, and by imitating that they often manage to do more harm to their tanks than what is really needed for their bioload or setup.
IMHO

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like dying hair algae turning white. But it could be chrysophytes too. Get a diadema sea urchin.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back