Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new batch of Hanna alk reagent and mixed up my new batch of salt. I measured my tank at 5.8 and my new salt at 9 after about a week. Much lower than the 8 and 12.2 I usually get.

i thought it was a problem with the Hanna reagent so I bought the safealert alk kit and now it’s reading 6 and 9.2. So apparently my salt is mixing at 9 instead of 12?

has anyone had reef crystals (orange) mix with super lower than normal alk? The only dosing I do is a kalk slurry to kill aptasia every other week which has been fine until now.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new batch of Hanna alk reagent and mixed up my new batch of salt. I measured my tank at 5.8 and my new salt at 9 after about a week. Much lower than the 8 and 12.2 I usually get.

i thought it was a problem with the Hanna reagent so I bought the safealert alk kit and now it’s reading 6 and 9.2. So apparently my salt is mixing at 9 instead of 12?

has anyone had reef crystals (orange) mix with super lower than normal alk? The only dosing I do is a kalk slurry to kill aptasia every other week which has been fine until now.
Have you verified salinity?

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you verified salinity?
Yeah I just double checked to be sure. Reading 34.9 in the tank, 36 in the salt mix and 35.1 in the cal fluid. I always mix the same amount of water at a time so I always add the same number of cups of salt to make sure I am never too far off.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bag I tested for my Ultimate Salt Test came in around 9 something. Maybe 9.4dkh? I’d have to go check the exact number. I never put it past IO or IORC to have inconsistent numbers
Interesting, guess I’ll need to test the first batch of each bucket.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk salt mixes are also prone to calcium carbonate precipitation in the mixing bucket, so whether and to what extent that happens prior to measurement will impact the alk (and to a smaller extent, calcium) found in the water.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back