Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, im having a issue with algae. And im starting to lose my patience.....First green, them dinos, and now this brown thing it looks like hair. For the green it went way and the powder blue tank helped, dinos making the tank dark, pick up by hand, turkey baster, water changes, and done. Now is brown and looks like hair. First I felt it was cyano, so I did the pulling it from the sand and the turkey baster and 2 rounds of chemiclean and slow down a bit, but back at it again.
Tanks is been running almost 6 months
Sal:1.023 to 1.024
Temp around 78° to 80°
Ph 7.9
NO3 around 5 ppm
Phosphate. .60ppm
Amonia 0
That's using Hanna "egg" checkers with current reagent. UV is off since dinos and running the skimmer. Replace sock twice a week. Thank you for not following to sleep.
Any suggestions are welcome.

20230524_183155.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a bit off.
NO3 around 5 ppm
Phosphate. .60ppm

How big is this tank? And what kind of cleaners do you have?
I didn't catch that... Yes, phosphate seems high given the nitrate level... by an order of 10

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As bad as it gets, it will pass. Mine probably didn't get bad until the 5 or 6 mos mark and then it was horrible. Brushing, siphoning, and netting for the next six mos. THEN IT WAS GONE!!
Yep, it can take a tank started with dry rock about a year to stabilize... and that's without complicating the biome by using chemicals to wipe out one thing, leaving the door open for other issues. Added instability can make it take even longer IMO/IME.

OP
OP
Signalhead

Signalhead

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a bit off.
NO3 around 5 ppm
Phosphate. .60ppm

How big is this tank? And what kind of cleaners do you have?
What you mean is off? Maybe I'm reading the tester wrong. I stop using api because can see the colors right. I use the phosphate and nitrate ulr. The tanks 150 plus sump. I have snails and hermit crab. Blue leg crabs and Mexican turbo, Florida Cerith,astraea, about 40 in total

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you mean is off? Maybe I'm reading the tester wrong. I stop using api because can see the colors right. I use the phosphate and nitrate ulr. The tanks 150 plus sump. I have snails and hermit crab. Blue leg crabs and Mexican turbo, Florida Cerith,astraea, about 40 in total
"Off" meaning a better ratio of nitrate to phosphate is *often* around 100:1. Right now you're at 10:1.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 snails/crabs in a 150 is a very understaffed cuc.

OP
OP
Signalhead

Signalhead

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As bad as it gets, it will pass. Mine probably didn't get bad until the 5 or 6 mos mark and then it was horrible. Brushing, siphoning, and netting for the next six mos. THEN IT WAS GONE!!
I had the same tank in another house and it was clean with in 4 months. Never an issue after like 2 years later with the RO water. I was expecting to be the same. Old people don't have patience (per my wife)

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Signalhead

Signalhead

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise just replacing as much of the rock as possible with live ocean rock if you can afford it...
I start with live sand, some old base rock that I had in the tank before and with 20lbs from a friend. His tank is clean and no surprises. I figure it was enough

BRS

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it can take a tank started with dry rock about a year to stabilize... and that's without complicating the biome by using chemicals to wipe out one thing, leaving the door open for other issues. Added instability can make it take even longer IMO/IME.
Agreed and chemicals are only bandaid fixes not addressing the underlying problems which cause the situation to begin with. Chemiclean kills good bacteria along with bad which is why you often see people who use it kill off one nuisance algae but open the door for a worse algae to take over. Biodiversity and microfauna are critical to the tank biome and success.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your so called brown hair looks like a bad case of Dino’s! That would be a side effect of using chemiclean… I’d black the tank out for 3-4 days and keep your lights low while using a uv light 24/7

OP
OP
Signalhead

Signalhead

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed and chemicals are only bandaid fixes, not addressing the underlying problems which cause the situation to begin with. Chemiclean kills good bacteria along with bad which is why you often see people who use it kill off one nuisance algae but open the door for a worse algae to take over. Biodiversity and microfauna are critical to the tank biome and success.
I was planning to do a 40 gallon water change. In your opinion, should I do it and add some good stuff (bacteria)? With the water change? will be adding more hermits ttomorrow, andthis weekend i be getting more snails. Coming to town. Yes

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good morning, im having a issue with algae. And im starting to lose my patience.....First green, them dinos, and now this brown thing it looks like hair. For the green it went way and the powder blue tank helped, dinos making the tank dark, pick up by hand, turkey baster, water changes, and done. Now is brown and looks like hair. First I felt it was cyano, so I did the pulling it from the sand and the turkey baster and 2 rounds of chemiclean and slow down a bit, but back at it again.
Tanks is been running almost 6 months
Sal:1.023 to 1.024
Temp around 78° to 80°
Ph 7.9
NO3 around 5 ppm
Phosphate. .60ppm
Amonia 0
That's using Hanna "egg" checkers with current reagent. UV is off since dinos and running the skimmer. Replace sock twice a week. Thank you for not following to sleep.
Any suggestions are welcome.

View attachment 3168211
Can you provide a clearer pic under white lighting?
Phos as mentioned very high (you want .04-.08-up to .1)
Are you using RODI water, and is it purchased or made your self?
Is tank at or near a window?

Adding a pouch of ChemiPure Elite will help bring down phos level slowly with addition of daily 2 gallon water changes.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to do a 40 gallon water change. In your opinion, should I do it and add some good stuff (bacteria)? With the water change? will be adding more hermits ttomorrow, andthis weekend i be getting more snails. Coming to town. Yes
As mentioned, the best way to add good bacteria is with actual live rock, either from a very established tank (sounds like you did this at startup) or some of the maricultured live rock from Florida, etc.

A few more questions...
Are you running a refugium?
How difficult would it be to remove the rocks and scrub/rinse in old tank water?

Manual removal is still a key to helping get things under control. If it is dinos, then there are some good threads on R2R about ways to help combat these since most cuc won't touch them.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back