Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, I am a university student, so I am absent for long periods of time (during holidays for example). I use an auto feeder with a mixture of some pellet food and flakes to feed my tank while away. I normally only feed pellets, specifically formula 1 and formula 2 pellets, along with some spirulina pellets. The issue is that these pellets sink really fast, as a result my clownfish are unable to catch them in time, thus, only my dragonet eats in the end. I included brineshrimp flakes in my mixture to manage to feed my clownfish.

My problem is that even if I am absent for just a week, my phosphates raise really quickly resulting in algae blooms. I am definitely overfeeding using the feeder, but I do not extremely overfeed, I am pretty confident that the flakes are causing the phosphate raise. So, I am looking for some pellet food that will sink but at the same time have a density similar to that of water, in order for it to sink slowly and not just drop immediately to the bottom. (To replace the flake food)

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Greetings, I am a university student, so I am absent for long periods of time (during holidays for example). I use an auto feeder with a mixture of some pellet food and flakes to feed my tank while away. I normally only feed pellets, specifically formula 1 and formula 2 pellets, along with some spirulina pellets. The issue is that these pellets sink really fast, as a result my clownfish are unable to catch them in time, thus, only my dragonet eats in the end. I included brineshrimp flakes in my mixture to manage to feed my clownfish.

My problem is that even if I am absent for just a week, my phosphates raise really quickly resulting in algae blooms. I am definitely overfeeding using the feeder, but I do not extremely overfeed, I am pretty confident that the flakes are causing the phosphate raise. So, I am looking for some pellet food that will sink but at the same time have a density similar to that of water, in order for it to sink slowly and not just drop immediately to the bottom. (To replace the flake food)

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
For me- Doctor Bassleer from BRS and Omega one garlic pellets

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back