Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for the following powerhead to help add a bit more flow in my 5 gallon tank:

- Low profile
- Ability to tune to sub 100gph
- Low noise
- Doesn't cost the farm

I saw Jebao SLW which seemed to fit the bill, but if there are opinions about that, and if it can go as low as my expectations for GPH, or if there are any others you guys would recommend, that would be greatly appreciated!

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link or a model number? Nothing on their site resembled something low profile like the above-mentioned one.

There are anemone guards available for them too. I have the SLW-20 and 30 but not the 10. They work well but be cautious of the more open backs on puck style wavemakers.

OP
OP
T

testuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are anemone guards available for them too. I have the SLW-20 and 30 but not the 10. They work well but be cautious of the more open backs on puck style wavemakers.
Between the SLW and the Hygger you linked, do you know if the speeds go as low as what I'm looking for with regards to GPH? Per the site, mad is 1600GPH for Hygger, and I'm not sure how far down it can be tweaked.

What's the concern with open back on this style of wave makers? Something can get caught behind it? If that's the case, I think that the only issue could be my astraea snails, but maybe not.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1600 in a 16g. I think the lowest setting is 40% and while I doubt it's truly 1600gph at max, even turned down I seriously doubt it's even close to 100... no means of testing. I like it, and haven't had any issues. Maybe put a diy-foam filter over it to restrict flow? Cut down the blades?

Are even any wavemakers out there that run that low? That's even less than small HOB filters.

I have SLW-20 and 30 on a larger tanks. I think they make a "5" version that might be something to look at.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
T

testuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1600 in a 16g. I think the lowest setting is 40% and while I doubt it's truly 1600gph at max, even turned down I seriously doubt it's even close to 100... no means of testing. I like it, and haven't had any issues. Maybe put a diy-foam filter over it to restrict flow? Cut down the blades?

Are even any wavemakers out there that run that low? That's even less than small HOB filters.

I have SLW-20 and 30 on a larger tanks. I think they make a "5" version that might be something to look at.
Wave maker, circulation pump, I'm not picky. Something that has low flow. I figured given the market share of nano tanks, that there would be more out there for better flow. I'll reach out to them and see what the alleged GPH is on the lowest setting.

OP
OP
T

testuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest flow pump I can think of would be hydor's 256gph.
Maybe GPH shouldn't really be what I'm thinking about, and just stick with the supported tank sizes these are made for. I ordered the Hygger you recommended and will report back if it gives the flow that I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice!

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back