Looking for coral suggestions

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still new (3 months since cycling) and at the moment I have a couple of zoa colonies, a toadstool that refuses to stand up straight, mushrooms, Hollywood stunner and some GSP on the back wall.

I would like to add something with movement frogspawn, torches etc and also something like favia or acan for some colour. Not sure which is best out of these.

Also any advice on placement is also advised.

IMG_2412.jpeg

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had absolutely horrible luck with Wild Caught torches, hammers frogspawn etc. I have had very good luck with aqua-cultured Frogspawn and Hammers. Something to keep in mind when buying. Leave 6 inches around them for growth.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely get some euphyllia corals as far as placement for a coral especially euphyllia will depend heavily on flow and light. Often best to add it to you tank and figure out where the flow and light a both right for them. Usually moderate variable flow will do best, and I’ve seen euphyllia in a wide range of light levels.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had absolutely horrible luck with Wild Caught torches, hammers frogspawn etc. I have had very good luck with aqua-cultured Frogspawn and Hammers. Something to keep in mind when buying. Leave 6 inches around them for growth.
Oh that’s interesting, I think the UK just has cultured corals being so far away from warm waters

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still new (3 months since cycling) and at the moment I have a couple of zoa colonies, a toadstool that refuses to stand up straight, mushrooms, Hollywood stunner and some GSP on the back wall.

I would like to add something with movement frogspawn, torches etc and also something like favia or acan for some colour. Not sure which is best out of these.

Also any advice on placement is also advised.

IMG_2412.jpeg
You could always get some Duncans in your tank! They are pretty resilient and look great.

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans in a higher flow area can get really great extension and movement, and was one of the first corals I got to "thrive" and not just live. Highly recommend for a newer tank... and they aren't agressive with neighbors.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan, candy cane, hammer, torch. For hammers and torches I’d aim for “basic” varieties and not get expensive varieties to start. I have a candy cane torch I added a few months into my first tank and it’s been bombproof to any issues I’ve had.

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duncan’s and hammer’s were the easiest LPS for me when i first started, duncan’s grow quick too mine grew 4 new heads in a couple of months. Torches are usually pretty easy as well but I have noticed can be more sensitive to parameters swings than other euphyllia. my hammer’s and duncan’s are higher up in my tank while my torches are all on the sand bed, placement will depend on your light strength and flow though.

Last edited:

mythesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here, so take advice with a grain of salt.

But, we did a Duncan, followed by hammer, then torch.

All three seem to be thriving and I love all the shape and movement they have.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back