Looking for clean up crew for young tank

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. As the threat says, I have a really young tank. The ugly stage has just begun.

The diatom bloom has started. There are patches on the sandbed and patches on the rock. Currently my cuc consists of two skunk shrimp for uneaten food and cleaning the fish (currently just two clowns and if the clowns ever allow themselves to be cleaned), 5 nassarius snails for the sandbed and also for uneaten food, and two cerith snails. I also added one jar of 5280 and another jar of galaxy pods from algae barn to seed the tank with pods. Because of the lack of diatoms and etc until now, I have been dosing phyto to feed them. I also have just added them to the fuge. The fuge has a very small amount of chaeto in it.

The nassarius snails are doing a good job with churning and aerating the sandbed and I would have added more if it weren't for the fact the tank is not heavily fed. The cerith snails are either at the waterline at the top of the tank or they're hanging out on a rock or on top of the sand. Skunk shrimp found there home on some rocks and generally hang out there.

Display is 90 gallons. Right now I'm just in the diatom stage. I'm not a fan of adding any hermits yet because of the lack of snails. I also do not want to jump the gun and add too many CUC members during the diatom bloom because I do not want them to starve between the diatom bloom and the algae phase.

Edit: I also forgot to ask a few questions? Any other CUC species I should add? Rock is not glued down because I may have to temporarily disassemble the tank in a year or two, so ones that risk knocking over rock are a no go.

Should I add some cerith snails to the refugium? There is no sand there. Just rubble and chaeto. I'm hoping they eventually breed and I get a self sustaining population.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms will go away on their own in a few weeks but with a tank that size you will eventually need a diverse cleaner crew maybe 30 snails different types, 3 tuxedo urchins 10 scarlet hermits, serpent starfish, etc... just add more as the ugly phases happen over the course of the first year.

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms will go away on their own in a few weeks but with a tank that size you will eventually need a diverse cleaner crew maybe 30 snails different types, 3 tuxedo urchins 10 scarlet hermits, serpent starfish, etc... just add more as the ugly phases happen over the course of the first year.
I guess for now I add more ceriths. I'm looking for some trochus but they are hard to come by right now, especially pre quarantined.

I'm avoiding the urchins because of my corals. I have a small montipora. I'll definitely be getting a conch and a serpent star at some time. I'm looking into getting those little serpent/bristle startfish that live and clean the rocks and can reproduce on their own.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess for now I add more ceriths. I'm looking for some trochus but they are hard to come by right now, especially pre quarantined.

I'm avoiding the urchins because of my corals. I have a small montipora. I'll definitely be getting a conch and a serpent star at some time. I'm looking into getting those little serpent/bristle startfish that live and clean the rocks and can reproduce on their own.
Saltwateraquarium.com. is a good source

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ReefCleaners.org for clean up critters. They are inexpensive, and they ship most, but not all, critters by USPS Priority Mail, which is cheaper than overnight shipping. My only minor complaint would be that the animals I've received have been a bit on the smaller side, but they are so cheap I still think it's worth it.

Good luck!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back