Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to create a 50' run of data cable from my remote sump to my display and, unfortunately, my only option is to snake it through one of my drain lines and out the overflow box.

I'm looking for some guidance about the type of CAT5 cable that would be appropriate for this.

Searching around the Internet I find mixed opinions, but I don't have the background knowledge to sort out which recommendations are truly necessary and which are "ideal."

Some claim that a direct burial ethernet cable will be sufficient to stand up to potential corrosion from the saltwater and can handle any water ingress. However, others recommend a more stout option that includes gel-filled cables. And some suggest a specialized solution (e.g. Belden Waterdog cables).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Top Shelf Aquatics

theatrus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Direct burial" is probably the closest thing out there. Note that some direct burial cables are actually filled with a liquid jelly, so may not be ideal when the outer jacket does actually break down. I'd lean to something with just a polyethelyne jacket https://www.alphawire.com/Products/cable/xtra-guard-performance-cable/xtra-guard-3/35121

Do you need all 4 pairs?

Top end would be a teflon jacket wire, but that stuff will run an absurd amount of money for 50 ft.

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the cable jackets are made out of but if you’re concerned, why not run it through some tubing? I was thinking a small cpvc pipe as conduit but regular tubing might be better.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put the cat5 cable in another flexible tube that is saltwater safe (an outer jacket/sleeve) then feed both through the pipe? I don't know if there is anything like this but it might solve the problem if there is.

OP
OP
Curley

Curley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the cable jackets are made out of but if you’re concerned, why not run it through some tubing? I was thinking a small cpvc pipe as conduit but regular tubing might be better.

Can you put the cat5 cable in another flexible tube that is saltwater safe (an outer jacket/sleeve) then feed both through the pipe? I don't know if there is anything like this but it might solve the problem if there is.

If such a product exists, I'm not opposed to it. The drain line is 1.5" PVC and is about a 35' run through my home's foundation. So if the tubing doesn't add too much to the overall diameter of the cable and will not make snaking the wire impossible, then sure.

But is there such a product?

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Curley

Curley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Direct burial" is probably the closest thing out there. Note that some direct burial cables are actually filled with a liquid jelly, so may not be ideal when the outer jacket does actually break down. I'd lean to something with just a polyethelyne jacket https://www.alphawire.com/Products/cable/xtra-guard-performance-cable/xtra-guard-3/35121

Do you need all 4 pairs?

Yeah, I'll need 4 pairs to terminate the cable with this connector.

I've never worked with the gel-filled cables, but read that they can be a bit of a pain to work with as that stuff is pretty sticky and gets on your tools. More importantly, I'm not too sure of how it works when it touches water. If the cable coating starts breaking down, will that gel leach into the water? Or does it sort of solidify to protect from water getting to the copper wire. On one hand, it seems like the gel would prevent copper from getting into the water. But not sure of the negative impact on the system chemistry if the gel gets into the tank water.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If such a product exists, I'm not opposed to it. The drain line is 1.5" PVC and is about a 35' run through my home's foundation. So if the tubing doesn't add too much to the overall diameter of the cable and will not make snaking the wire impossible, then sure.

But does is there such a product?
It would be nice if the product was like electrical wire shrink-wrap where you can get a size that easily fits over the heads then you heat the actual cable part so it shrinks to size thus reducing as much of the size as possible. Either that or it's elastic in nature so it's almost the same as shrink-wrap (just without having to heat it to shrink it). I will have to research this.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Curley

Curley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per my previous reply... check out this marine shrink wrap. I assume it's resistant to saltwater. There might be other types like this. Hopefully this link works.

Thanks for the idea! The packaging states that it is "impervious to saltwater."

I wonder how this polyolefin stacks up to polyethylene which would likely be the outside jacket of a direct burial cable.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice if the product was like electrical wire shrink-wrap where you can get a size that easily fits over the heads then you heat the actual cable part so it shrinks to size thus reducing as much of the size as possible. Either that or it's elastic in nature so it's almost the same as shrink-wrap (just without having to heat it to shrink it). I will have to research this.
OMG, I was just thinking this same thing, lol! Thanks for saving me from typing it out ;)

BRS

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the idea! The packaging states that it is "impervious to saltwater."

I wonder how this polyolefin stacks up to polyethylene which would likely be the outside jacket of a direct burial cable.
You could contact them (or maybe folks with more knowledge will chime in). I think what makes this appealing is you can hear the part that goes over the cable so it shrinks to the size of the cat5 this minimizing the space it takes up in the pipe. You get a size that easily fits over the head of the cable then shrink the part on the cable. If the direct burial cable is small then it comes down to whatever is easier and takes up the least amount of space. I don't think you want any blockages in the pipe especially if gunk can get trapped by any cabling.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, I was just thinking this same thing, lol! Thanks for saving me from typing it out ;)
You are most certainly welcome. LOL What's the saying about "great minds thinking alike". ;-)

OP
OP
Curley

Curley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run a 1/4 inch id pipe inside to run the cable into to reduce the risk of leeching.

The drain line is in my foundation (poured 2 years ago) and is not a straight shot as there are some 45s and a few 90s. Is there 1/4" flex pipe that could work? If so, would that restrict the flow through that drain too much?

My system does have 2 primary drains (each 1.5") so I have some overhead to work with, but I just wouldn't want to compromise the flow to my sump.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

a.t.t.r

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain line is in my foundation (poured 2 years ago) and is not a straight shot as there are some 45s and a few 90s. Is there 1/4" flex pipe that could work? If so, would that restrict the flow through that drain too much?

My system does have 2 primary drains (each 1.5") so I have some overhead to work with, but I just wouldn't want to compromise the flow to my sump.
Heck what about some ro tubing? Strip away the jacket and they should hold all 4 pairs and you know it is water proof and safe. Or vinyl / silicon tubing

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back