Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a 23 year period I've used a pair of Tsunami AT-1 ato's. They were made by Blueline.
The first one lasted 13 years. My last one is starting to crap out at 10 years. Going to try soaking the tube that goes in the sump and replacing the airline from the tube to the control box. See if that solves the issue.
I can no longer find them for sale so I'm looking for a similar ATO that allows me to use my own pump ( Aqualifter ) and doesn't use a optical sensor or standard float switch.
Any suggestions that meets those 2 criteria?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a 23 year period I've used a pair of Tsunami AT-1 ato's. They were made by Blueline.
The first one lasted 13 years. My last one is starting to crap out at 10 years. Going to try soaking the tube that goes in the sump and replacing the airline from the tube to the control box. See if that solves the issue.
I can no longer find them for sale so I'm looking for a similar ATO that allows me to use my own pump ( Aqualifter ) and doesn't use a optical sensor or standard float switch.
Any suggestions that meets those 2 criteria?
Avast.

Hands down.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast.

Hands down.

I don't know how I missed them. I looked in alot of places and the Avast checks all my boxes.
Thanks.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now should I spend the extra $15 for the backup float.
Its one of the most reliable options for a level sensor available and seeing as its a backup, i wouldnt lose sleep over it.

I use a single optical sensor and have for years with crossed fingers lol.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its one of the most reliable options for a level sensor available and seeing as its a backup, i wouldnt lose sleep over it.

I use a single optical sensor and have for years with crossed fingers lol.
I probably will.
With ato's that use an optical sensor I see a ton of bad reviews so I'm a little leary still.
In fact I have a brand new Prism ATO sitting in a box on my shelf. If I could figure out a way to hotwire a aqualifter to it and not use the enclosed pump, I would give it a shot. But I'm afraid the voltage would be wrong.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably will.
With ato's that use an optical sensor I see a ton of bad reviews so I'm a little leary still.
In fact I have a brand new Prism ATO sitting in a box on my shelf. If I could figure out a way to hotwire a aqualifter to it and not use the enclosed pump, I would give it a shot. But I'm afraid the voltage would be wrong.
Yeah the reef breeders prism uses an IR sensor vs an optical sensor.
I have no experience with the former.

If i were to buy another optical ATO it would likely be one with the extra high level sensor above the water level sensor.

If i wanted to re evaluate the whole thing, i would likely go with the avast.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So set up the Avast ATO, I plug a small light in the socket and I move the tube up and down in the sump until the light comes on, then I remove a little water to see how sensitive it is.
My came defective, the black tubing was cut and it made perfect cap, ( like a dime that had a small piece connected to it like a flap) that plugged the air tube and it would not work, you could barely see it but I finally figured it out, one way to check just blow in one side and look at the other and then do the opposite to make sure both sides are clear.

Kscope

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the same Blueline Tsunami AT1 for almost 10 years and its still working. Its running a Marineland Maxijet 400 pump. Since Blueline doesn't make them anymore, I bought the AVAST pressure switch only as a backup.

Avast
OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the same Blueline Tsunami AT1 for almost 10 years and its still working. Its running a Marineland Maxijet 400 pump. Since Blueline doesn't make them anymore, I bought the AVAST pressure switch only as a backup.
Yeah, my AT-1 is going on 10 years. I cleaned up the tube in citric acid and replaced the return line and it seems like it's working, but it has had an issue twice in the last year. I'm not trusting it like I used to.
My Avast unit is currently in transit. Hopefully get here this week.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back