Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder with 2 clowns, a bicolor blenny, and a long nose hawk. I’ve had the clowns and hawk for 3 months now and have had no issues with him being aggressive. I just added the blenny last week and the Hawk and him get along just fine. So I added two Bangaii cardinals two days ago there an out an inch or so long. I’ve watched my hawk bite fins off. He killed one of my cardinals today. I’m curious if it’s just because they’re so small. Any ideas and information would be appreciated

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the hawkfish is quite a bit bigger, so yeah - if you watched him going after them and chewing their fins off it's probably because they're smaller and he can (also, those hawkfish are jerks).

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the hawkfish is quite a bit bigger, so yeah - if you watched him going after them and chewing their fins off it's probably because they're smaller and he can (also, those hawkfish are jerks).
Ditto on the jerk part. Shocked they killed the cardinals. I can say I've witnessed them eat peppermint shrimp first hand!

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the jerk part. Shocked they killed the cardinals. I can say I've witnessed them eat peppermint shrimp first hand!
I've seen one or two that were awesome tank mates, but from what I understand talking to everyone who's owned one - this is the exception rather than the rule. My LFS has one in their display that is super chill (and if they ever decide to re-home it, I'll probably snag it).

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen one or two that were awesome tank mates, but from what I understand talking to everyone who's owned one - this is the exception rather than the rule. My LFS has one in their display that is super chill (and if they ever decide to re-home it, I'll probably snag it).
This guy is pretty legit, except the whole eating shrimp thing, lol. He/she is about 7ish or so. One of the first fish (only one still around) I got when I got back into the hobby in 2015.

20230505_174712.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Except for, you know - the eating the shrimp part. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Yeah... The falco that recently passed, which I also had used to stalk its prey after lights out. Nature on the rampage was interesting.

OP
OP
TerrorTurtle

TerrorTurtle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the information. Really appreciate it. Do you think he’d go after a coral beauty of similar size. The hawk about 3 inches in length. I’ve been eyeing one up recently but I don’t want to loose him to the Hawk. I don’t think he’d go after him but I’m not a professional.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... The falco that recently passed, which I also had used to stalk its prey after lights out. Nature on the rampage was interesting.
I have one nocturnal fish (marine betta), but he mostly comes out at night to cruise around without having to deal with any other fish (very timid).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the information. Really appreciate it. Do you think he’d go after a coral beauty of similar size. The hawk about 3 inches in length. I’ve been eyeing one up recently but I don’t want to loose him to the Hawk. I don’t think he’d go after him but I’m not a professional.
I'd probably aim for a larger coral beauty. I don't necessarily think he'd go after an angel (they're very quick compared to a banggai), but if he's already proven to be a jerk with smaller fish I'd err on the side of caution. It doesn't have to be a full grown specimen - just something in the 1.5"-2" size.

AS

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely letting you know that there's no more open seats at the dinner table or extra beds available in his house.
That 40g will be stocked out with the CB.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He would probably be less aggressive in a larger tank. Mine gets along with everyone except a royal Gramma. Luckily the Gramma can run circles around him. Sorry about the Cardinals.
That's the problem. Putting a semi-aggressive fish in a tiny volume of water and expecting it to accept all others. I had one in 130g and it was not enough territory for it to accept a clown. I took it back to the fish store.

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot all about my pom pom crab and my Randal's pistol they other day and got excited about a flame hawk. Pistol is 3, his days are numbered anyway. Pom pom is about 1.5 he is already supposed to be dead.

Ethan Hawksfish is commin'

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder with 2 clowns, a bicolor blenny, and a long nose hawk. I’ve had the clowns and hawk for 3 months now and have had no issues with him being aggressive. I just added the blenny last week and the Hawk and him get along just fine. So I added two Bangaii cardinals two days ago there an out an inch or so long. I’ve watched my hawk bite fins off. He killed one of my cardinals today. I’m curious if it’s just because they’re so small. Any ideas and information would be appreciated
I have no doubt as long nose went after my Anthias, Flame hawk went after my Shrimp and falco hawk after my firefish- No More hawks for me and I realize why they are called " Hawks"

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Your Reef
Back