Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Black widow BTA delivered on Nov.30th from TSA. He looked great in the bag and once I placed him in the tank he was open and fluffy. After about 2 hours, he did what anemones do and took off. I haven't seen him since his introduction. This has been almost 2 weeks.
I have anemone guards on powerheads and no signs of him being chopped up or sucked up into anything else. No sump and not in HOB skimmer. He was very small though, like half inch, so if he's hiding in a hole, its going to be hard to find. I have a blacklight flashlight that I use once lights go out in hope's of seeing him glowing in a hole somewhere.

Ive heard of anemones hiding, but has anyone ever had one hide longer than a week or 2 and it still be alive?

All Parameters checked with Salifert and Hanna.
Alk 8.4
Cal 450
Mag 1275
Phos .10 and going down slowly (Hanna)
Nitrate 4.7 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8
Tank is over a year old

Avast

Etto

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for about 6-7 months. He split into 2 after about 2-3 months and the second one periodically disappears. I thought he died since I hadn't seen him in months, but he came back this past week. Not sure that helps, but my experience.

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Black widow BTA delivered on Nov.30th from TSA. He looked great in the bag and once I placed him in the tank he was open and fluffy. After about 2 hours, he did what anemones do and took off. I haven't seen him since his introduction. This has been almost 2 weeks.
I have anemone guards on powerheads and no signs of him being chopped up or sucked up into anything else. No sump and not in HOB skimmer. He was very small though, like half inch, so if he's hiding in a hole, its going to be hard to find. I have a blacklight flashlight that I use once lights go out in hope's of seeing him glowing in a hole somewhere.

Ive heard of anemones hiding, but has anyone ever had one hide longer than a week or 2 and it still be alive?

Alk 8.4
Cal 450
Mag 1275
Nitrate 4.7 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8
Tank is over a year

Alk 8.4
Cal 450
Mag 1275
Nitrate 4.7 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8
Tank is over a year old
Mine did the same thing. Only I freaked out and tore my whole scape apart and I finally saw him inside this tiny hole. I tried to pry the hole bigger with screwdrivers and was afraid I’d hurt him so I put my rocks back best I could. And now he has been trying to get out for an hour. His tentacles are out but his body is stuck. I hope he makes it

Corals.com

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing. Only I freaked out and tore my whole scape apart and I finally saw him inside this tiny hole. I tried to pry the hole bigger with screwdrivers and was afraid I’d hurt him so I put my rocks back best I could. And now he has been trying to get out for an hour. His tentacles are out but his body is stuck. I hope he makes it
IMG_0588.jpeg

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one gone for 3 years and still looking for him lol!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: KIDDING !! Serious note I’ve have them hid for a few weeks . They are temperamental especially if too much current , light , or if tank is new and parameters fluctuate too much etc. they will also move if they aren’t getting enough food where they were at so they can tend to move to where they have better luck feeding . They will move if they are being stung by other corals . Keep looking for him and if you do find him and he’s looks ok then just leave him where’s he’s at as he will go where he feels comfortable. Good luck

Top Shelf Aquatics

Borat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk 8.4
Cal 450
Mag 1275
Nitrate 4.7 (Hanna)
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8
Tank is over a year old
about 6 months, then it crawled out one day - being about 10th of its former size (by the the size of cherry).. Feeding brought it back to former glory.

I learnt the hard way that it's important to feed your nems.

OP
OP
SuthernReefer

SuthernReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of the black widow . Very nice nem
And yes I’ve had nems hide for weeks then come out
Here he is just waking up, forgive the blue, but I start with heavy blue in the morning.

He is in the worst spot for a picture . Literally facing the back wall of my 75 so you can't see all his colors. Oral disc has some nice burts and specs of colors in it. He is around 6" in diameter. Will be re-aquascaping this aquarium in a week so I'll upload a better pic. Beautiful nem. Want a Colorado sunburst eventually.

20230519_083407.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one gone for 3 years and still looking for him lol!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: KIDDING !! Serious note I’ve have them hid for a few weeks . They are temperamental especially if too much current , light , or if tank is new and parameters fluctuate too much etc. they will also move if they aren’t getting enough food where they were at so they can tend to move to where they have better luck feeding . They will move if they are being stung by other corals . Keep looking for him and if you do find him and he’s looks ok then just leave him where’s he’s at as he will go where he feels comfortable. Good luck
He could have been stuck in a crack in your rocks. Did you look?

OP
OP
SuthernReefer

SuthernReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have been stuck in a crack in your rocks. Did you look?
He was small, like 1"small.. This was originally posted back in December, so I think he went in hiding and died. Be cool if he turned back up after all this time though.

CLICK TO VIEW

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was small, like 1"small.. This was originally posted back in December, so I think he went in hiding and died. Be cool if he turned back up after all this time though.
Very possible that he could show up some day . At 1” he can fit in very small holes / cracks . Have you checked the filter if any ?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back