Lobophora? I think... whats my best option?

Deltec

SandNRocks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last month or so I’ve had these black spots popping up on my rocks. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it appears to be spreading a bit quicker. After doing some research, I believe its a species of Lobophora. I’ve read its near impossible to get rid of but I’ve come up with some options and wanted some opinions. Its probably hard to tell, but here are some photos in case I am wrong:
DA5D6937-47DD-4E8F-A693-DD3551C6A992.jpeg
12B5D153-9706-46B7-A777-6239B5995682.jpeg
FB5BFD7D-3143-46F0-9B13-FD1859DF83CA.jpeg

I am going to pull some of the rocks out and put hydrogen peroxide on as much as i can get to. Ill see how effective this is first, but without scraping it off the rock, it will likely come back.
My “tank” is a 3g pico and i can pretty much do whatever i have to do to get rid of it. Here are the options I came up with. Let me know what you would do:
A. Leave it alone for now. Hopefully it will go away as the tank matures. It doesnt seem to bother any of the coral(yet), and i can always go with option C later.
B. Get an emerald crab. Ive read theres a good chance they will eat lobophora. He should be able to do a pretty good job in a 3 gallon tank and at least keep it under control, and if theres any issues with him picking at stuff, i have another tank for him to go into.
C. The extreme route, but easier than scraping it all: Replace all of the rock/water with new rock/water, scrape and peroxide on any of the frag plugs and essentially start over. I’d like to keep the sand for bacteria/pods etc... but i’d probably take all of the sand out and rinse it too.
D. Any other ideas or solutions?

All in all I’ve been trying to do whats best for my corals, and would hate for this to become a big enough issue to kill something. Thanks for any input.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SandNRocks

SandNRocks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I hit a bunch of it with peroxide and that did nothing. Ive recently read about someone having it and it going away on its own over time. Thats the route I am taking currently. It doesnt grow on any coral and is slow to grow in general. Ill be able to prevent it from smothering anything pretty easily, so ill play the waiting game for now.

Nutramar Foods

yanni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I hit a bunch of it with peroxide and that did nothing. Ive recently read about someone having it and it going away on its own over time. Thats the route I am taking currently. It doesnt grow on any coral and is slow to grow in general. Ill be able to prevent it from smothering anything pretty easily, so ill play the waiting game for now.
My lobophora has started to kill off corals, so I’m attempting a flucanozole treatment as my last resort. Be careful, it will encrust onto bases, and can plate out and shade coral, then grow onto the dead coral

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back