Live Rock in Brute - how to deal with aptasia and pests

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped break down a 12 year old reef tank over the weekend, the live rock has aptasia and what look to be baby bristle worms. I am storing the rock in a 40 gallon brute trash can with flow and heat. What is the best way to deal with the aptasia and worms? Dump in some peppermint shrimp and a arrow crab?

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the good bacteria when in total darkness. This may kill the aptasia, I'm not sure maybe the pros will chime in on that. but the bristle worms not so sure, they could starve in that environment.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the aiptasia to many to kill with kalk paste? I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp but not with large aiptasia. Maybe some Berghia nudibrachs. Personally I wouldn't even worry about the worms. They make good CUC members and you'll most likely end up with them anyway. I've never had a tank that didn't end up with bristle worms.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's already out of the tank. 12 year old live rock is mostly real live rock

One could use a wire brush to clean off the anemones

And use dips to kill off the worms

One could take each piece of rock out, clean it, rinse it, set it aside in a bucket of salt water

Clean out the Brute, then replace all the clean, dipped, rinsed, live rock from the buckets

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back