LIVE ROCK FROM AUSTRALIA

GoedReedfing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a small amount of live rock from Australia and I’m wondering what would be the best way to keep from getting hitch hikers getting into my tank. I’ve seen some people talk about dipping the rocks in high salinity, or dipping in coral RX. I want to keep from killing any good bacteria. Let me know what you guys think is the best process.

IMG_8827.png

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what are you worried about coming out of the rock? Whenever I got live rock, I didn't worry about hitchhikers. IMO the good outweighs the bad when getting live rock. I did keep mine in a garbage can for 6-8 weeks with a power head and changed water weekly to ensure everything that was going to die did so prior to me putting into the tank.

tobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a small amount of live rock from Australia and I’m wondering what would be the best way to keep from getting hitch hikers getting into my tank. I’ve seen some people talk about dipping the rocks in high salinity, or dipping in coral RX. I want to keep from killing any good bacteria. Let me know what you guys think is the best process.

IMG_8827.png
Maybe set up a small quarantine tank with lights and filtration and just observe it for a few weeks and see what comes with it.

frydaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rinsed it in a bucket of tank water, looked it over, and dropped it in my established tank. A couple weeks later there was coral growing on a couple of the pieces. Ended up with 5 plate corals.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rinsed it in a bucket of tank water, looked it over, and dropped it in my established tank. A couple weeks later there was coral growing on a couple of the pieces. Ended up with 5 plate corals.

Kudos to your post. I buy diver collected live rock for the biodiversity of the hitchhikers that come with it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back