Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously cared for a blue linckia that lived in my tank for over a year. Not long term by any stretch as these are very difficult animals to care for in a home tank. I did eventually lose it for what I think was just a maturity issue when I upgraded my tank and had to replace a signficant amount of rock which may have limited the food source on the rocks. Ancedotal of course as we don't know what they really eat, but only guess film algae and other related sources on surfaces. Fast forward. A new reefer that I know impulse bought one that was huge for his tiny tank. This is likely doom for the starfish so he gave it to me to care for it recognizing it might have a better chance in my tank.

Here's the situation: When we introduced it to my tank after acclimating of course; power head blew it into a giant carpet nem which quicky grabbed 2 of the starfish's legs. Simply wouldn't let go and I eventually freed the starfish. Damage done of course and the carpet stung the heck out of the starfish. That was two days ago and today I saw the legs for the first time. Severly injured. Question is what action should I take if any. Since starfish regrow legs, should I amputate the 2 injured legs to limit the spread of any infection, or just leave it be. See photos. I remember reading lots of cases where folks have amputated chocolate chip starfish legs as food for shrimp. Let's not go down that path for now, but focus on action to rescue this one.

Should I amputate in hopes to save? Any other actions?

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously cared for a blue linckia that lived in my tank for over a year. Not long term by any stretch as these are very difficult animals to care for in a home tank. I did eventually lose it for what I think was just a maturity issue when I upgraded my tank and had to replace a signficant amount of rock which may have limited the food source on the rocks. Ancedotal of course as we don't know what they really eat, but only guess film algae and other related sources on surfaces. Fast forward. A new reefer that I know impulse bought one that was huge for his tiny tank. This is likely doom for the starfish so he gave it to me to care for it recognizing it might have a better chance in my tank.

Here's the situation: When we introduced it to my tank after acclimating of course; power head blew it into a giant carpet nem which quicky grabbed 2 of the starfish's legs. Simply wouldn't let go and I eventually freed the starfish. Damage done of course and the carpet stung the heck out of the starfish. That was two days ago and today I saw the legs for the first time. Severly injured. Question is what action should I take if any. Since starfish regrow legs, should I amputate the 2 injured legs to limit the spread of any infection, or just leave it be. See photos. I remember reading lots of cases where folks have amputated chocolate chip starfish legs as food for shrimp. Let's not go down that path for now, but focus on action to rescue this one.

Should I amputate in hopes to save? Any other actions?
The photos didn’t load. I’m not sure if amputation would be the best course or not, so hopefully someone with more treatment oriented knowledge will chime in for you there. The only treatment I'm actually aware of that has been used (and backed with actual research/evidence as successful) with starfish is a prescription treatment for Sea Star Wasting Disease (SSWD) - which is thought to be basically a bacterial infection that suffocates the star. The treatment for that might be useful if your star does develop an infection, but it might not be too (I'm not a disease expert, so I'd definitely ask for a second opinion from someone like Jay Hemdal to see if it or an alternative treatment method could be helpful before trying anything).

That said, Linckia starfish are thought (with some good reason) to eat biofilm (a mix of bacteria, cyanobacteria, diatoms, microalgae, etc.) - under proper conditions and with proper feed, the stars would repair the damage/regrow lost limbs without any real issues, but for obvious reasons we can’t really replicate the biofilms they need in our aquariums (at least not purposefully).

However, I do know Linckia stars will also prey on "Asterina" (technically Aquilonastra) starfish (see my quote below) - presumably to get biofilm from the smaller stars (either from inside them or outside them - other stars, like the Nardoa star in the second quote below, may eat them for similar reasons). I've heard of some moderate success with keeping Linckia stars in tanks with Aquilonastra stars in them (I've heard of some people with smaller tanks keeping them for 18 months to 3 years, rather than the more typical 6-8 months), so I'd guess that - at this point - adding some Aquilonastra stars to the tank with the Linckia may be the best course of action for the star from a feeding/nutrition perspective.
Since Harlequin Shrimp an manual removal are out of the question, you're pretty well out of luck for extermination of the Asterinas (Aquilonastras). That said, if you're just looking to cut down on the number of stars and your tank is large enough, a reef safe starfish like a Linckia star may help (see the link with pics of multiple stars - Linckia multifora/laevigata, and an unconfirmed star species or two - eating Aquilonastra stars below). Personally, I'd stick with the manual removal, but, long story short, it's assumed they prey on the smaller stars to get the biofilm in/on their bodies.
For me Nardao starfish are the best for asterina control, they do also scavenge other dead material, have seen them scavenge on frozen food that gets stuck in the rockwork. I have 5 in a 3ftx2ftx2ft tank, and have had them for well over a year now, seem to be doing well (one even regrew a leg completely that the wavemaker amputated), and only rarely see asterinas anymore.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough call but I'd say amputate the arms with as much absolute precision as possible to ensure a clean cut. Honestly I'd say your chances are 50/50 of it making it but i feel a clean precise cut will be less likely to be infected and heal better. Tbh I'd imagine the arms will regenerate much slower than in nature due to restricted food sources but you may still be able to save it's life.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. Photo. See the left leg and the bottom left. Approx 1/4 of each leg was wrapped by the carpet nem.

E0F366AF-8A41-4D98-8CA2-ED4301F294E4.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough call but I'd say amputate the arms with as much absolute precision as possible to ensure a clean cut. Honestly I'd say your chances are 50/50 of it making it but i feel a clean precise cut will be less likely to be infected and heal better. Tbh I'd imagine the arms will regenerate much slower than in nature due to restricted food sources but you may still be able to save it's life.
That’s exactly where my head is at. I’m afraid of the continuing decay and infection spreading. Rather take a very sharp knife and a quick hard clean cut and cross the fingers.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly where my head is at. I’m afraid of the continuing decay and infection spreading. Rather take a very sharp knife and a quick hard clean cut and cross the fingers.
I don't think anyone knows for sure what the best course of action is so i say follow your gut feeling. Just use a very sharp, clean knife and try not to make it too traumatic for the star. Taking him completely out of the water may really stress him if he's out long enough for you to do what you need to do so if i were you I'd put him in a bowl of tank water and get it done as quickly and smoothly as possible. Also, I'd only amputate as small of a portion of the arms as possible.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back