Lighting Upgrade for 125 gal 6ft long (from 3 Red Sea 90's)

BRS

August

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for an upgrade for my tank to replace three RedSea 90's I have had for almost 5 (maybe 7 actually) years now. I currently do not have much in terms of corals, just a few Nems, a frogspawn, candy cane, a clam, and usual fish. I would like to be able to add some more light intensive corals, but it just hasn't really worked out in the current setup, and I am more suspicious of the lighting than I was before.

I don't know the par measurements for the tank, but I think I am biting the bullet and getting a Par module for my apex unit so I can get some trends and see what has been working out well for the tank vs what has not been working in terms of placement.

With the Black Friday deals, I was thinking of picking up 3 ecotech Radion xr15 pro's. but I have seen discussion that Radion's have been a bit under powered and maybe 2 x15's and 1 x30 might make better sense? I am a bit wow'ed by the diversity of their led colors but I don't want to make a poor purchase.

Sorry about the photos not being the best quality. thanks in advance for your opinions and considerations :)

IMG_2925[1].JPG IMG_2922[1].JPG IMG_2923[1].JPG IMG_2924[1].JPG

AS

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be suspicious of the lights unless you know the par. Those should be fine for the tank. The radions are good and I wouldn't worry about par levels as much as people emphasize. If you have a large amount of blue then you dont like likely need as high or a par value since par is a poor measurement of the relative energy potential from different wavelengths.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

August

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended adding the Radions pro x15's to my setup. I added a par meter to my apex setup and it really opened my eyes that I was not putting in enough par to the tank as I originally thought I was. The Radions at full intensity AB+ preset were barley pushing out 75 par at the sandbed... The RL 90's could do 125 with the blues at full and the White channel at 65%. So in combination, I am doing 130'ish and will bump up to about 150 which leaves room for increase intensity later on when I have things that need the light. The few things I have in the tank are responding really well so I am excited, but I need to get real shades for the Radions and also the Red Sea 90s. With both the RedSea RL90's and the x15's I am in a better place. I honestly can't believe that the Radions did not perform as well but I suppose they were doing something different than what I was expecting.

I am just glad I have the par monitor module which helped me catch this before I had stuff die off with me scratching my head. I watched a few BRS videos where they talk about how different tank shapes and setups will result in different par metering. Thanks to the guys recommending the par meter :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
A

August

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have included some photos... but not of the lights themselves yet.... the setup is hideous yet functional.

Attachments

• IMG_2998[1].JPG
    IMG_2998[1].JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2991[1].JPG
    IMG_2991[1].JPG
    221 KB · Views: 7
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back