Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quality problems, but the 48inch Current Satellite plus that is over 10years in the running is finally doing its epileptic swan song. I had given it to a LFS for several years and then grabbed it back and placed it on several iterations of tanks...it has quite some history.

Anyways, I would love to have some options other than Kessil with some shimmer with appropriate spread. Money, is not the issue, because I like nice hobby hardware. I just feel that it is inefficient and a waste to put Kessils on a tank that I may or may not convert to an anemone/softy tank in the future. If I had multiple tanks these days and some lighting (ie. Kessils) lying around then...yeah, I would do it.

I am interested to see if there are some options with shimmer that are little cheaper than the Kessil....where I do not feel like I am totally over-investing. I considered 3 Redsea 90's, which I would need to turn way down not to bloom some nuissane; however, can you tweak the white enough on these lights to get a good temp/kelvin for viewing fish? It would run $1500ish too with that setup. Same thing with 3 Hydra 32's....would be fun, but a little over the top.

Option 1: Trying to find a decent shimmer setup that isn't way over the top in cost and power, that will achieve decent lighting spread on the tank.

Option 2: Getting the 72 inch Current Orbit Pro, saving money, and putting some of the extra into a nice fish, and/or supplies/meds etc.
I
I could totally go to home depot and find something cheaper...but that's not want I want to do, and I feel less power usage is better.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

AS

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quality problems, but the 48inch Current Satellite plus that is over 10years in the running is finally doing its epileptic swan song. I had given it to a LFS for several years and then grabbed it back and placed it on several iterations of tanks...it has quite some history.

Anyways, I would love to have some options other than Kessil with some shimmer with appropriate spread. Money, is not the issue, because I like nice hobby hardware. I just feel that it is inefficient and a waste to put Kessils on a tank that I may or may not convert to an anemone/softy tank in the future. If I had multiple tanks these days and some lighting (ie. Kessils) lying around then...yeah, I would do it.

I am interested to see if there are some options with shimmer that are little cheaper than the Kessil....where I do not feel like I am totally over-investing. I considered 3 Redsea 90's, which I would need to turn way down not to bloom some nuissane; however, can you tweak the white enough on these lights to get a good temp/kelvin for viewing fish? It would run $1500ish too with that setup. Same thing with 3 Hydra 32's....would be fun, but a little over the top.

Option 1: Trying to find a decent shimmer setup that isn't way over the top in cost and power, that will achieve decent lighting spread on the tank.

Option 2: Getting the 72 inch Current Orbit Pro, saving money, and putting some of the extra into a nice fish, and/or supplies/meds etc.
I
I could totally go to home depot and find something cheaper...but that's not want I want to do, and I feel less power usage is better.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?
I’m sort of in the same boat I had 3 ap9x units in my 180 when it was a reef but now it’s a fowlr and total overkill plus I’m setting up a 360 gallon fowlr soon so I’m kind of looking for something with nice pop but not a lot if wattagecand par. I’ve been looking at the reef brite led strips they come in different configurations. Anyhow maybe something that might interest you.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sort of in the same boat I had 3 ap9x units in my 180 when it was a reef but now it’s a fowlr and total overkill plus I’m setting up a 360 gallon fowlr soon so I’m kind of looking for something with nice pop but not a lot if wattagecand par. I’ve been looking at the reef brite led strips they come in different configurations. Anyhow maybe something that might interest you.
Ended up ordering 3 maxspect jump led 65'sw. They seemed middle of the road to lower end on price...and have some functionality to them...able to play with the spectrums. The app has a fish only setting....lol...whatever that is. Anyways, it was only a little more expensive than the current 72 inch pro orbit relatively. Still overkill on a fowlr and might have disco fish, but it is something to play with.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the price to performance ratio, the 3rd Gen NooPsyche K7 Pros cannot be beat. I just replaced my aging Kessil A360s with them on my 180 and I am beyond pleased. They push out enough more than enough par and have a great shimmer!

@Zach B is the North American distributor for them, and he can answer any questions tou might have.

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up ordering 3 maxspect jump led 65'sw. They seemed middle of the road to lower end on price...and have some functionality to them...able to play with the spectrums. The app has a fish only setting....lol...whatever that is. Anyways, it was only a little more expensive than the current 72 inch pro orbit relatively. Still overkill on a fowlr and might have disco fish, but it is something to play with.
Awesome I haven’t really looked at them I’ll have to check them out!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price to performance ratio, the 3rd Gen NooPsyche K7 Pros cannot be beat. I just replaced my aging Kessil A360s with them on my 180 and I am beyond pleased. They push out enough more than enough par and have a great shimmer!

@Zach B is the North American distributor for them, and he can answer any questions tou might have.
Saw some reviews and PAR readings. Those look amazing for coral for their price/performance. I am taking a mental note of these. Way better than most black box lights and also some higher end lights.

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw some reviews and PAR readings. Those look amazing for coral for their price/performance. I am taking a mental note of these. Way better than most black box lights and also some higher end lights.
Yeah, I can attest that these are not black box lights. The build quality is superb, and they give the big boys a run for their money, performance wise.

Avast
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back