View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Merry Christmas!

I am currently running 3 Maxspect Jumps with 2 Blueplus ATI bulbs (80 watt) to power my 6 foot mixed reef tank. Looking to upgrade the Maxspect light to Hydra and looking for guidance which Hydras that would fit best for my tank. The height of the lamp from my water would be 11 - 12 inches.

I have some folks trying to sell me their used Hydras: Hydra 64, Hydra 52, and 2 Hydra 26s. I will definitely take the 64 but still thinking about whether i get the 52 or the 2 26s. Apart for the LEDs i am having 2 Blueplus ATI to get extra coverage. So, should i have Hydra 64 and 52 OR Hydra 64 and 2 Hydra 26s? TIA!

World Wide Corals

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if I would do the 52 or 26 as the reason most people are probably looking to trade them is due to them being older lights at this point. They could be lights that are around 8 years old and probably at the end of their rated useability

BRS
OP
OP
A

AlvaLazuardy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the price for the Hydras. What are they asking?

The 52 will cost 335$ approximately and the 2 26s will cost 434,99$

IDK if I would do the 52 or 26 as the reason most people are probably looking to trade them is due to them being older lights at this point. They could be lights that are around 8 years old and probably at the end of their rated useability

Thats true... due to budgeting limitation thats the two options i have atm. Would u pick 2 26s?

oreo54

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra 26's are listed at 90 watts.
The 52 is listed at 135 watts.
The 64 is listed at 135 watts as well.

From a power standpoint the 26's are a better bet
Not to mention the " all your chickens in one basket" factor or the flexibility of 2 units vs 1.

I know there are other differences between models like which use/ need the "director" but too lazy ATM to really dig deep.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydra-52-vs-hydra-64hd.713168/

Of course there are plenty of other differences to consider like age/use/run full or very dimmed ect. or even how they are used.

If all on the same tank a 64 in the middle and 2 flanking 26's seems ..err...logical.

OP
OP
A

AlvaLazuardy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra 26's are listed at 90 watts.
The 52 is listed at 135 watts.
The 64 is listed at 135 watts as well.

From a power standpoint the 26's are a better bet
Not to mention the " all your chickens in one basket" factor or the flexibility of 2 units vs 1.

I know there are other differences between models like which use/ need the "director" but too lazy ATM to really dig deep.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydra-52-vs-hydra-64hd.713168/

Of course there are plenty of other differences to consider like age/use/run full or very dimmed ect. or even how they are used.

If all on the same tank a 64 in the middle and 2 flanking 26's seems ..err...logical.

Hi Oreo,

Yes, thats what i was thinking 64 in the middle and 26 in the flank with T5 supporting em. Theoretically, should be enough PAR with SPS on top the tank? i am keeping mostly LPS from mid to lower range of the tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner

August

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The interesting thing about T5 lighting is that it reflects alot inside of the tank, so you could actually have higher par at lower positions inside of the tank. There is a BRS investigates where they kinda talk about how hard it is to guess what par levels will be with given lighting in different shaped tanks.

Hope your setup goes well, and happy reefing :)

OP
OP
A

AlvaLazuardy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The interesting thing about T5 lighting is that it reflects alot inside of the tank, so you could actually have higher par at lower positions inside of the tank. There is a BRS investigates where they kinda talk about how hard it is to guess what par levels will be with given lighting in different shaped tanks.

Hope your setup goes well, and happy reefing :)

Hi August! Thank you for your kind words :) So i made the decision to buy 2 26s. I rather pay a little bit higher than disappointed later lol

Nutramar Foods

August

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi August! Thank you for your kind words :) So i made the decision to buy 2 26s. I rather pay a little bit higher than disappointed later lol
Just remember to take photos. I have learned so much from looking at other setups than what I would have imagined otherwise :)

OP
OP
A

AlvaLazuardy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I decided to purchase the 2 26s alongside a 64. Thank you for your help! This is currently my tank, and I have several acros ranging from the middle to the upper part of the tank. The 64 will be placed in the middle with the 26s on the right and left.

My next question would be how do i set em up. The light itself would be 11 - 12 inch above the water surface. Currently, i am looking at Yannick Desvignes' settings that works for his 7 ft tank with 6 26s (I know that 6 26s are different from 2 26s and a 64, but I need to start somewhere)

This is his setting:

1672125954522.png

This is my tank:

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-27 at 14.12.25.jpeg

I am thinking to add more white to Yannick's settings to get more PAR? and also i have two T5s running.. TIA!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back