+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I currently have a JBJ 15 aio. The dimension are 15.25”L × 14”W × 16” H / Display: 12"L x 14"W x 16"H. I have had the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue on it for the past 2 years and have had some success with few corals. I had a hammer grow around 4 more heads, a duncan grow 2 heads, and a kenyan tree grow another 20 trees! I also have had troubles keeping certain corals especially near the sand bed (like zoas, xenia) where my PAR is probably nonexistent! I was looking at upgrading my light. I have a pretty good deal on the AI Hydra 32 HD, I was wondering:

1) Would this be appropriate or overkill for my tank?
2) What corals would I be able to stock my tank with if that were the case?
3) Would I need to get rid of my glass lid that comes with the tank? (I know this diffuses the light, ultimately weakening the PAR)

Thanks for the input in advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have no authoritative knowledge on lighting, but I have been running 2 A80 Tuna Blues on my 25 gallon lagoon for 5 months with good results. It is a shallower tank. Light penetration has come up as an issue for these lights, but in a shallow set up, it seems to work. I just added the controller 30 days ago (don't forget the extra chords), and I have been totally pleased. So maybe just add another Tuna and the controller?
IMG_5223.jpg

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have no authoritative knowledge on lighting, but I have been running 2 A80 Tuna Blues on my 25 gallon lagoon for 5 months with good results. It is a shallower tank. Light penetration has come up as an issue for these lights, but in a shallow set up, it seems to work. I just added the controller 30 days ago (don't forget the extra chords), and I have been totally pleased. So maybe just add another Tuna and the controller?
View attachment 2988805
How much was the controller and has it been helpful? Also, tank looks great man!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a mesh lid (not glass), so that is a factor. Controller was $100, had to buy 2 old school chords at $20 a piece. It was pretty easy to set up, and gives me a lot of control. I recommend it. There are a lot of chords to mange. I used the wrong mounting arm, but managed to rig it satisfactorily. The lights are totally supporting my corals and macro algae. Here is a pic from today! Tank is only 5 months old.
IMG_5354.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5354.jpg
    IMG_5354.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a mesh lid (not glass), so that is a factor. Controller was $100, had to buy 2 old school chords at $20 a piece. It was pretty easy to set up, and gives me a lot of control. I recommend it. There are a lot of chords to mange. I used the wrong mounting arm, but managed to rig it satisfactorily. The lights are totally supporting my corals and macro algae. Here is a pic from today! Tank is only 5 months old.View attachment 2988822
I will look into it! Thanks for the feedback!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello everyone,

I currently have a JBJ 15 aio. The dimension are 15.25”L × 14”W × 16” H / Display: 12"L x 14"W x 16"H. I have had the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue on it for the past 2 years and have had some success with few corals. I had a hammer grow around 4 more heads, a duncan grow 2 heads, and a kenyan tree grow another 20 trees! I also have had troubles keeping certain corals especially near the sand bed (like zoas, xenia) where my PAR is probably nonexistent! I was looking at upgrading my light. I have a pretty good deal on the AI Hydra 32 HD, I was wondering:

1) Would this be appropriate or overkill for my tank?
2) What corals would I be able to stock my tank with if that were the case?
3) Would I need to get rid of my glass lid that comes with the tank? (I know this diffuses the light, ultimately weakening the PAR)

Thanks for the input in advance!
Ai Prime HD will perform well,,,,, Ai Hydra 26 or 32 better yet

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back