Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that you need to have a lid on your aquarium if you have a starfish in the tank...

That the starfish will climb out of the tank...?

However, I have also heard that you cannot expose a starfish to air - and that to make sure you never have the starfish out of the water when acclimating it or transferring it into the tank.

So... I'm confused...

World Wide Corals

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that you need to have a lid on your aquarium if you have a starfish in the tank...

However, I have also heard that you cannot expose a starfish to air - and that to make sure you never have the starfish out of the water when acclimating it or transferring it into the tank.

So... I'm confused...
I'm not sure on the lid part, but you can expose a starfish to air:

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all true that you have heard things said but sadly all that you have heard cannot be true.

I have heard something similar about marine sponges. How did they put them in the bag at the fish store?

Top Shelf Aquatics

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think you need a lid because of the strength it would take to climb out would be a lot more than they would need for other tasks. Remember everything is heavier out of water so they probably would not be strong enough.

___

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So... I'm confused...
I have a starfish and I take the lids off all the time. She'll crawl to the top and sometimes even stretch out with her underside right at the top, breaking through the water... so that answers both questions, they won't climb out, bc they won't like it. Air isn't great for them, but it's not instant death either. A lot of stars like lagoons and will be exposed once tides go out. It's not good for them, like any marine animal. How that helps.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starfish and I take the lids off all the time. She'll crawl to the top and sometimes even stretch out with her underside right at the top, breaking through the water... so that answers both questions, they won't climb out, bc they won't like it. Air isn't great for them, but it's not instant death either. A lot of stars like lagoons and will be exposed once tides go out. It's not good for them, like any marine animal. How that helps.
Maybe it's actively seeking oxygen because your DO is too low. That could potentially be a problem.

AquaCave Logo Banner

___

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's actively seeking oxygen because your DO is too low. That could potentially be a problem.
I don't have an issue, I was responding to the original post about lids and starfish crawling out and unable to be exposed to air. Thanks though

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back