Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a small lettuce nudi last week from an LFS as I wanted one for a while. I do have different algaes in my nano reef so I figure there is going to be something in there it will like, hair included but Ive noticed the last couple days its actually hanging out at the top of my tanks back wall. I know there is brown (what looks to be) diatom on the glass but do they actually eat this? I have placed it gently back on the rocks and it will sit there and graze for a while on the hair and flat green algae (at least it looks like it is) but then move right back to the same area. My water parameters are fine, flow is not too high, in fact the spot its moving TO prob has the most flow of anywhere in the tank.

I wanted to see how well it held up before I got a second one, because I do really like them, but I wanted to know if this was normal behavior. Ive done a lot of research before getting one but always read they mainly go for hair and bryo algae not brown diatom.

Thanks

also I know they dont actually EAT algae and literally suck out the cells for storage but I just say they eat algae or graze because its more broad.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of it has to do with your last statement.

Its going up to the light to use those chlorophyll. It not only stores them but is capable of recycling the chlorophyll and making its own sugars with them via photosynthesis.

If you're running weak lightning (or alternatively more blue spectrum lighting since macroalgae tends to grow off lower spectrum lighting) it's likely getting closer to try and absorb more of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EvilNick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of it has to do with your last statement.

Its going up to the light to use those chlorophyll. It not only stores them but is capable of recycling the chlorophyll and making its own sugars with them via photosynthesis.

If you're running weak lightning (or alternatively more blue spectrum lighting since macroalgae tends to grow off lower spectrum lighting) it's likely getting closer to try and absorb more of it.
I would say it could be that, I did think of that but the place on top of the rocks where I placed him actually has the best lighting. The place he's going to is actually much less. He moved to the front now. Maybe there is just some small hairs of algae growing on the glass I can't see with the naked eye?

Top Shelf Aquatics

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not handle power heads well. Mine did not last long in a tank with high flow and power heads. They are like jelly and float off at will till they settle. Think jelly blowing around your tank.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back