Let's See Those Wacky DIY Tools That You Can't Live Without!

BRS

air_run

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@techdef power brick organizer

View attachment 3023810

I love it! Here is my version of a DIY brick or "Wall Wart" organizer out of clear acrylic and nylon thumb screws. I also removed a single plug and hard wired (4) dongles into a power strip to isolate my stand lights to one plug saving three plugs for future use.

IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6301.JPG

Avast
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AS

air_run

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another wacky DIY tool I made/put together (for my new in progress build) to move my ATI Powermodules out of the way as I was tired of hitting my elbows, head, etc on my current tank lighting. It's a DIY Bluetooth controlled light lifter system. I used some pulleys, DC winch motors and 80/20 aluminum.

IMG_6355.JPG

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals.com
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is another wacky DIY tool I made/put together (for my new in progress build) to move my ATI Powermodules out of the way as I was tired of hitting my elbows, head, etc on my current tank lighting. It's a DIY Bluetooth controlled light lifter system. I used some pulleys, DC winch motors and 80/20 aluminum.

View attachment 3024015
Awesomeness! I made a lift system for my build too, but it didn't go into the ceiling.

Check it out:

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3024015
Nice clean setup. Attic spaces can get quite hot. Is there any worry about an overheated Power Modules burning up and possibly catching fire? Do you have a smoke detector in the attic near the unit? Power supplies do occasionally fry.

air_run

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clean setup. Attic spaces can get quite hot. Is there any worry about an overheated Power Modules burning up and possibly catching fire? Do you have a smoke detector in the attic near the unit? Power supplies do occasionally fry.
Thank you. I have thought about that as I will have a squirrel cage fan setup on a timer (when the lights are on) that will blow across them. It is not implemented yet though as I am a month or so away of getting water in the tank and I need to figure out how to not blow insulation everywhere, lol. I will definitely look into adding a smoke detector. Thanks for the heads up on that!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I have thought about that as I will have a squirrel cage fan setup on a timer (when the lights are on) that will blow across them. It is not implemented yet though as I am a month or so away of getting water in the tank and I need to figure out how to not blow insulation everywhere, lol. I will definitely look into adding a smoke detector. Thanks for the heads up on that!
You could redo the insulation with faced batt.

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just made something similar for the apogee. It compressikk on. Fits into a ridged airline tube:
ParMeterHolderImg01.png

Link to the bucket filter sock holder if you’re too busy to make it yourself!

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something to think about.
GI-1164583398_Electric-short-circuit-failure-fire_2400x1600.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3024015
How long did it take you to put all of that together? that's a really good idea

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made something similar for the apogee. It compressikk on. Fits into a ridged airline tube:
ParMeterHolderImg01.png

Link to the bucket filter sock holder if you’re too busy to make it yourself!
where has that sock holder been all my life!!! I am working on another bucket filter now but went square bucket cause I didn't have that sock holder!!! Also still waiting on the 4in sock holder for rimmed tanks!

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

BSA
Back