Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone ! I’m sure most of you have seen recent posts of mine , for those who haven’t I am brand new to the hobby . Only about a week or two into it .

I currently have a 65 gallon w/ a nem and 2 clowns in it . Unfortunately I never saw or read anything about not throwing a nem into an unestablished tank so that is my fault but crossing my fingers I can keep my tank stable for the fish’s sake ( and to avoid a disaster for the tank ) lol. With that being said , can anyone give me ideal parameters and everything I need to be testing for and keeping an eye out for . I think im already starting to grow some algae and I wanna try to correct any of my parameters that are off as early as possible before it becomes a major problem if it already hasn’t lol.

Currently I have the following tests; API ammonia , API nitrite , API nitrate , refractometer for salinity , and cheap strip test from Amazon that read nitrate , nitrite , alkalinity, carbonate , and ph . (I don’t trust the strip tests too much .

Any and all info or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance !!

Nutramar Foods

JPG Corals

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone ! I’m sure most of you have seen recent posts of mine , for those who haven’t I am brand new to the hobby . Only about a week or two into it .

I currently have a 65 gallon w/ a nem and 2 clowns in it . Unfortunately I never saw or read anything about not throwing a nem into an unestablished tank so that is my fault but crossing my fingers I can keep my tank stable for the fish’s sake ( and to avoid a disaster for the tank ) lol. With that being said , can anyone give me ideal parameters and everything I need to be testing for and keeping an eye out for . I think im already starting to grow some algae and I wanna try to correct any of my parameters that are off as early as possible before it becomes a major problem if it already hasn’t lol.

Currently I have the following tests; API ammonia , API nitrite , API nitrate , refractometer for salinity , and cheap strip test from Amazon that read nitrate , nitrite , alkalinity, carbonate , and ph . (I don’t trust the strip tests too much .

Any and all info or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance !!
I currently use hanna brand testers for my alkalinity, phosphates, and salinity. They give you digital readouts, so it eliminates guessing. You will also want to monitor nitrates. I would focus on these first.

Nitrates ~5-10
Phosphates ~0.05
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity, based off the salt you use.
The key is to just try and keep them all stable.

I believe algae is normal in a newer tank, however keeping you nitrates and phosphates low, and making sure your photo period is not too long/intense should help.

CLICK TO VIEW

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are just ok, most people hate them. Salifert are your next reliable selection for the price point. But eventually you may want to switch to Hanna or Red Sea etc. You can use API, just understand that it may be accurate or "In the ball park". Since you live where you live, I would suggest taking a trip to the ocean this weekend and pick up some live rock. Depending on your your filtration system, you can pick up a couple handfuls of rubble and stick it in your filter, the more porous. the better. If your are running HOB filters you can just throw some rock in your tank. This will help with cycling your tank and the biodiversity which will help with the algae.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just toss the API kit and strips tbh. But no keep the API as it's better then nothing.

All pun aside TL;DR
Is the tank cycled?
If not get something to help protect your animals. For me I'm very limited so used seachem stability and seachem prime. That'll turn the ammonia and nitrites into a non toxic form and won't hurt the tank mates. Also will add good bacteria to move things along. As for the nem I'm not into them fish eating monsters lol.. long story but anyways grab something. Even do some water changes if in doubt.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Hats_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is to match the parameters of your salt, if you then do a water change theajor elements dont go oit of whack. Ideal parameters are stable parameters not a specific number that a hpbby grade test kit cant even accurately measure. Jusg give yourself a range around the parameters that your freshly mixed saltwater gives you

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Algae in a new tank is normal. Your parameters can be very normal and still have algae growth. The first year of an aquarium is basically learning how to fight and control algae. There are many ways to fight algae, start reading on it and become familiar with what you will see and how to fight it.

As others mentioned, get rid of the API test kit and start buying good test kits, that should be your next purchases. Phosphate and alk are very important, you need to know those numbers with a good test kit.

Just go slow, read about everything in advance before you do it to stay on the right track.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability !!!

match all parameters for that’s listed on the salt you’re using .

you are using rodi water ?
stable parameters and good lights , along with better test kits to test and monitor everything .
Take your time …
Nothing good happens fast . And this can be a very rewarding hobby

happy reefing and welcome to stressing about impulse purchases . We have all been there

AquaCave Logo Banner

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post cycle rarely does ammonia or nitrites need testing. API good enough for nitrates. WWC keeps their Acro at 25 ppm. Just follow the directions and consider using a magnetic stirrer and vials that are 27mm in diameter. Sold on Amazon as 20ml. Still only using 5ml sample water but they fit better. I think BRS sells the vials. That’s where I got the stirrer.

Not aware of nems needing low phosphates and for that the API good enough again. Most read parameters for sticks and then apply to everything else.

API good enough for alk since that range is 7-11 and why I aim for 9.

I’m using API for calcium because I don’t currently care for an exact measurement but Red Sea what I’ll be using once I do become concern. Research indicates it being the most accurate.

Aqua Forrest highly recommended by BRS for magnesium and path I’ll be taking. BRS has tons of videos and testing kits one of them. Did an updated best of buys recently. I’d go spend time on their channel. Sadly. Never seen anything on keeping nems from them but they go into the weeds with everything about parameters.

Main point about API being that directions must be followed and don’t guess how much time passed. Use a stop watch. They don’t provide precision. For that Hanna the way to go yet not everything kept in a box of water need exact tolerances.

Most importantly. All changes need to be slow. Not should be. Need to be. Life can adapt slowly to 5 dkh but can be stressed suddenly raised to 9.

Going to get tons of advice. BRS where I’d first go learn then come back here and ask for clarity on specific issues vs general tell me everything in one post. Randy has a chemical dedicated forum. I’d go ask there about more clarity on specific parameters but only after researching those same questions you are asking because I guarantee most if not all already answered.

Reef Central another good source although that defunct now and seems all have migrated here.

Kept a large Sabae in the mid 90s when all we had was API and Instant ocean. Key back then same as today. Slow changes. Life adapts. It’s a hobby. Not space exploration. KISS my approach.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post cycle rarely does ammonia or nitrites need testing. API good enough for nitrates. WWC keeps their Acro at 25 ppm. Just follow the directions and consider using a magnetic stirrer and vials that are 27mm in diameter. Sold on Amazon as 20ml. Still only using 5ml sample water but they fit better. I think BRS sells the vials. That’s where I got the stirrer.

Not aware of nems needing low phosphates and for that the API good enough again. Most read parameters for sticks and then apply to everything else.

API good enough for alk since that range is 7-11 and why I aim for 9.

I’m using API for calcium because I don’t currently care for an exact measurement but Red Sea what I’ll be using once I do become concern. Research indicates it being the most accurate.

Aqua Forrest highly recommended by BRS for magnesium and path I’ll be taking. BRS has tons of videos and testing kits one of them. Did an updated best of buys recently. I’d go spend time on their channel. Sadly. Never seen anything on keeping nems from them but they go into the weeds with everything about parameters.

Main point about API being that directions must be followed and don’t guess how much time passed. Use a stop watch. They don’t provide precision. For that Hanna the way to go yet not everything kept in a box of water need exact tolerances.

Most importantly. All changes need to be slow. Not should be. Need to be. Life can adapt slowly to 5 dkh but can be stressed suddenly raised to 9.

Going to get tons of advice. BRS where I’d first go learn then come back here and ask for clarity on specific issues vs general tell me everything in one post. Randy has a chemical dedicated forum. I’d go ask there about more clarity on specific parameters but only after researching those same questions you are asking because I guarantee most if not all already answered.

Reef Central another good source although that defunct now and seems all have migrated here.

Kept a large Sabae in the mid 90s when all we had was API and Instant ocean. Key back then same as today. Slow changes. Life adapts. It’s a hobby. Not space exploration. KISS my approach.
I always thought rc was gone .
although everyone from the good ol days are here . I haven’t heard much of reef central since early 2000’s

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought rc was gone .
although everyone from the good ol days are here . I haven’t heard much of reef central since early 2000’s
That's what I meant by defunct :)

Used to browse that forum when I left the hobby due to work induced time constraint just to stay abreast of new developments. Glad R2R took over that journey.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back