+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks for any answers you can provide me with. I am interested in covering the whole central rock of my nano in Leptastrea.
Two objectives with this: 1) I think it would look really cool i.e. a gold rock as a central piece and 2) I am sick of vermetid
snails and I have heard that Leptastrea will grow over them. In this rock(below left) I have Euphyllia, Blastomussa, Micromussa ,Goniopora and some
mushrooms. Would Leptastrea given your experience outcompete this other corals or they should be ok?

Thanks!

20220815_085712.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks for any answers you can provide me with. I am interested in covering the whole central rock of my nano in Leptastrea.
Two objectives with this: 1) I think it would look really cool i.e. a gold rock as a central piece and 2) I am sick of vermetid
snails and I have heard that Leptastrea will grow over them. In this rock(below left) I have Euphyllia, Blastomussa, Micromussa ,Goniopora and some
mushrooms. Would Leptastrea given your experience outcompete this other corals or they should be ok?

Thanks!

View attachment 2787792
Leo astrea is capable of encrusting and spreading
Not sure about coverage of vermetid however, bumble bee snails will make a snack out of them or with a little patience, you can place dabs of Gel superglue from the dollar store over each opening

Nutramar Foods

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leptastrea will try to sting and encrust other corals, yes. LPS of many species can probably sting it back, but I'm not sure how that fight will work out.

What's that reddish coral to the right? The one that looks like a gigantic blasto. I don't recognize that.

BRS

Duncan62

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks!

View attachment 2787792
I have it in one tank covering a rock. It seems to encrust everything in its path. I also glued some on the back glass in another tank. It seems to be spreading faster on the glass. Lol.

OP
OP
A

Alfredo77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leptastrea will try to sting and encrust other corals, yes. LPS of many species can probably sting it back, but I'm not sure how that fight will work out.

What's that reddish coral to the right? The one that looks like a gigantic blasto. I don't recognize that.
Thanks it was sold to me as Blastomussa wellsi.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Duncan62

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it outcompete other corals? thxs!
So far no corals affected. It covers feather dusters and vermicelli snails. It grows on any hard surface including tubes from snails and anything g fastened to the rock. A coral with sweepers might keep it at bay. Good luck with it. Mine is plain green and blue but a hardy coral.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back