Legit question: leave my new corals in the shipping box until I get home from work. . . Or let my wife attempt to acclimate them.

BRS

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so basically, I will be getting a shipment of corals on Wednesday. My choices are I have my wife bring the box inside and leave it next to the tank until I get home 5pm or have her try to drip acclimate and dip the new corals (all while making sure she turns off and on The necessary equipment at the right times)

I imagine having the corals sitting in the box for an extra four hours is the better option?

don’t get me wrong, my wife is brilliant, and definitely smarter than I am. But, she pretty much has nothing to do with my fishtanks, and knows very little about their care.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do somewhere in between and have her able to get them floating in tank or sump with lights off until you get home. I wouldn't ever drip acclimate coral in any case, but unless she knows what to look for in terms of pests and things I would say not worth having her do the dipping.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with mbd_talon. I would have her float to temp acclimate then finish when you get home.
You should take her out to dinner for even being willing to do it. If I asked my Gal to do that I would probably just get an eye roll.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back