Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many options for LEDs that I am lost in the bright vortex of options.

The tank is 60x24x24 and I will be keeping LPS and Softies. Mounting height isn’t an issue, but I would like to hang them.

I’ve used a reefbreeder light over my freshwater tank and it was very nice but I’m not super sold on the disco effect and shading. Reliability and cost are the big pluses.

I’m also looking at 3x Radion XR15s with diffusers. Big jump in cost but color and spread are supposedly amazing. Downside is much more expensive and I’ve heard the control sucks and there are big quality issues.

2x Neptune sky has very nice even color, good spread and works with my apex. Price is about the same as the radion. Not a huge fan of shimmer so this is apparently good there too. Downside seems to be build quality but I haven’t actually heard of any actually having issues.

are there other lights that are better? Trying to stay under $1800.

Nutramar Foods

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many options for LEDs that I am lost in the bright vortex of options.

The tank is 60x24x24 and I will be keeping LPS and Softies. Mounting height isn’t an issue, but I would like to hang them.

I’ve used a reefbreeder light over my freshwater tank and it was very nice but I’m not super sold on the disco effect and shading. Reliability and cost are the big pluses.

I’m also looking at 3x Radion XR15s with diffusers. Big jump in cost but color and spread are supposedly amazing. Downside is much more expensive and I’ve heard the control sucks and there are big quality issues.

2x Neptune sky has very nice even color, good spread and works with my apex. Price is about the same as the radion. Not a huge fan of shimmer so this is apparently good there too. Downside seems to be build quality but I haven’t actually heard of any actually having issues.

What lenses did you use in the Reefbreeders? How high were they from the water?
They come standard with 90 lenses. Logan will give you 120's if you ask him. Or do what I did, take the lenses out. No more disco.

ATXreefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at those, but I think that is too much shimmer for me. any way to reduce the shimmer?
I've done some research on this. Most will say add a few t5 bulbs, but I've seen in several videos and kessil website that if you add the 55 or 35 degree lens, the shimmer is reduced drastically, especially with the 35 degree lens. If you are hanging your lights, the 35 degree lens will allow you to hang them high enough that you never have to worry about them being in the way for maintenance, etc. Small form factor is also conducive to improved aesthetics of the tank setup as a whole in my opinion. I think with 3 a360x, lenses and dongle you're looking at around $1600.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mount the kessils higher or dim them a bit and use with led bars like those from quanta reef, orphek, or even aliexpress/alibaba ive heard work well. (im also getting suspicious of orphek bars and some of the ones on alibaba, will buy one to test)

ATXreefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mount the kessils higher or dim them a bit and use with led bars like those from quanta reef, orphek, or even aliexpress/alibaba ive heard work well. (im also getting suspicious of orphek bars and some of the ones on alibaba, will buy one to test)
My only warning about mounting them higher without the narrow reflector lens is the enormous amount of lightspill into the room you'll have to cope with. Just something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that seems like a lot of work and downsides just to get out of the box performance of the radions. Looking at the BRS reviews of the xr15 I think I can get away with using 2 of them and then add a third down the line if needed. Though the reefbreeder is still appealing if I can get it with the 120 lenses.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that seems like a lot of work and downsides just to get out of the box performance of the radions. Looking at the BRS reviews of the xr15 I think I can get away with using 2 of them and then add a third down the line if needed. Though the reefbreeder is still appealing if I can get it with the 120 lenses.

I emailed Logan about the 120 degree lenses, he said that was only with the original photons (super old black box style ones and is not an option with the photon v2, but said he is working on a diffuser add on that should be available “soon” which means probably never lol

AS
OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Logan about the 120 degree lenses, he said that was only with the original photons (super old black box style ones and is not an option with the photon v2, but said he is working on a diffuser add on that should be available “soon” which means probably never lol
Well thanks for the info. Sounds like the G6s are coming out soon from radion. Seems like I should be able to pick up the G5’s for a decent price or depending on what the G6s have might spring for those. Given the recent acquisitions maybe they’ll get apex integration.

Chris Spaulding

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank and I am using Ilumagic Blaze X 150. I added 2 nico bar strip lights to the fixture for a little more spread and for shadowing. The tank is SPS and I can easily get 250 par at the sand spots f needed. These are available at Uniquecorals. Attached pic of lighting for referance

Attachments

• 09C75D74-1004-4FF2-A8C3-20DB29B5A4BC.jpeg
    09C75D74-1004-4FF2-A8C3-20DB29B5A4BC.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 8DC8469B-1653-4370-996D-F2370DDDEF99.jpeg
    8DC8469B-1653-4370-996D-F2370DDDEF99.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 19
  • 2B875BE6-41A0-47ED-AE1B-BC5F9A50B319.jpeg
    2B875BE6-41A0-47ED-AE1B-BC5F9A50B319.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 19

DavidinGA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fwiw....I run a pair of ebay led boxes over my 90g and just modified them a bit and love them for the money. I'm not really convinced these super expensive leds are worth it (a photon is a photon and the corals don't know if that photon came from a $70box or a $500box).

I have my leds 3" above the water and I've removed the lenses so I get excellent blending and no hotspots. I also replaced some diodes with more blues to tweak the color to my preference.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lenses did you use in the Reefbreeders? How high were they from the water?
They come standard with 90 lenses. Logan will give you 120's if you ask him. Or do what I did, take the lenses out. No more disco.
I might ask him for the 120's. How did you take the lenses out anyways?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might ask him for the 120's. How did you take the lenses out anyways?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leonardo Dicaprio Waiting GIF by Jordan Belfort

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back