Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E2B9C733-D6E6-46C4-9F53-3BEBE852799D.jpeg
1E00CD69-E0EF-42AB-84DB-FA3301E6F15E.jpeg
9B5F2FC0-76F2-4A4A-BFF3-836019376D72.jpeg
Hello,

I purchased a leather coral about 3 weeks and it was perfectly fine for about week. I noticed it closed up one day and it looked waxy, it was shedding. It did use a turkey blaster since I noticed it was 4-5 days later and nothing. It partially opened up 1 and then went back into shedding mode. It has been in this mode for over a week and now I noticed some white spots allover. I have other leather and they are fine and no white spots on them. Checked my parameters everything is ok but just did a 20% water change just in case and changed my carbon. I took some pics. I increased flow and is actually blowing the sand away from the coral.

Avast
OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Could those be pineapple sponge growing on the leather? That’s what your pictures kinda looks like. Never seen this before.
They are also on the top. I was thinking about doing a dip but unsure if this is “normal” or it will upset it even more. Never heard of pineapple sponge will google it.

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are commonly found in new tanks and sumps, but I don’t think I have ever seen them on a coral. I’m skeptical that is what I am looking at but take a look and report back yes or no, it’s interesting?

OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case this happens to someone else, I changed the flow of my Nero 5 from pulse to random. Seeing if the change in flow will change things. So far nothing has changed. All the other corals are fine and the this coral looks the same.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case this happens to someone else, I changed the flow of my Nero 5 from pulse to random. Seeing if the change in flow will change things. So far nothing has changed. All the other corals are fine and the this coral looks the same.
I'd leave it alone. Leathers can be weird; I had a large toadstool that occasionally looked like yours (polyps retracted, kept shedding) for a couple weeks at a time.
I don't know about the white spots but it could just be part of the shedding process...

Again, I recommend not messing with it -don't change anything or do any dips - and let it do it's thing. It will open back up when it wants to. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not hurt to do a lugols solution dip. Do they brush off easily? Do that feel hard? If you take one off, what happens to the surrounding tissue?
Nothing comes when I ran my finger thru it earlier. I don’t remember feeling any difference between the normal tissue and the white areas. Have not attempted to take anything off since they are allover the coral.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Luisn17

Luisn17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it alone. Leathers can be weird; I had a large toadstool that occasionally looked like yours (polyps retracted, kept shedding) for a couple weeks at a time.
I don't know about the white spots but it could just be part of the shedding process...

Again, I recommend not messing with it -don't change anything or do any dips - and let it do it's thing. It will open back up when it wants to. :)

Edit: if you can, gently try to scrape off the white spots, maybe with your fingernail. If they come off easily, then you can gently brush them off with a toothbrush... But I still wouldn't worry too much about them.
Learning I should not even looking at it with my peasant eyes…lol. Worried this is something which can spread to my other leathers but so far everything is fine. I will give it a week of not messing with it, I changed the flow since is something I have been wanting to do to better break the surface tension.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back