Least likely to succeed: How should you NOT pick a fish?

BRS

What are reasons to NOT pick a fish?

• It’s cute

Votes: 147 37.3%
  • I like the color

Votes: 121 30.7%
  • It’s small

Votes: 95 24.1%
  • Just one more

Votes: 164 41.6%
  • It looks like a celebrity fish (Nemo, Dory, etc.)!

Votes: 185 47.0%
  • Other

Votes: 65 16.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Least likely to succeed: What are reasons to NOT pick a fish?

Have you ever picked a fish only to regret it later? Have you ever seen someone pick a fish because it’s a certain color or looks like a “celebrity fish”? It may make you cringe when you hear someone say, “Let’s get it, it’s so cute!”, however, you may be the one that thought that you can fit one more fish even though your tank is overcrowded already. What mistakes have you made when picking a fish? Let’s talk about how you should not pick a fish.

MarounCTang.png

Photo by @maroun.c

The Nemo phenomenon has had positive and negative effects on the hobby. Although the impact has faded, invariably there will be other "celebrity" fish in the hobby. Check out this R2R article about the impact of the captive-breeding of Blue Tangs - Paracanthurus hepatus (Dory) has been captive bred. What does this mean for aquarists?

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the least likelihood to succeed is shopping by price alone. Oh - this store has yellow tangs for $39.99 - so I'll buy one there. However, 'Just one more' is in close second place. The stocking density in a tank (IMHO) directly correlates with disease spread and severity. Much like meningitis in army barracks, or cholera in refugee camps.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"It's going to take care of the __________ problem in my tank!".

And ten seconds later, all your zoas have disappeared. And your fire urchin has begun its quest to become the next James Bond villain and take over the world!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"That fish is cheap I have to have it for my tank" or "That fish has a nice discount on it, I have to have it or it'll be expensive again"

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other is "it's historically hard to keep but I'm a great hobbyist and my tank is so happy that it'll be no problem." That is very much rarely the case. People overestimate their abilities in comparison to others in the hobby constantly.

Also the "just one more" mentality is a recipe for crashing a tank.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see far too many people trying to stuff a "Dory" into a tiny tank because they, their kids, or significant other "love" it. Also it is by far the fish I see dead most often at the LFS. It's weird how a movie against the aquarium hobby has backfired and caused the death of so many blue tangs that, lets be honest, are not suitable to most aquariums.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least likely to succeed: What are reasons to NOT pick a fish?

Have you ever picked a fish only to regret it later? Have you ever seen someone pick a fish because it’s a certain color or looks like a “celebrity fish”? It may make you cringe when you hear someone say, “Let’s get it, it’s so cute!”, however, you may be the one that thought that you can fit one more fish even though your tank is overcrowded already. What mistakes have you made when picking a fish? Let’s talk about how you should not pick a fish.

View attachment 2976731
Photo by @maroun.c

The Nemo phenomenon has had positive and negative effects on the hobby. Although the impact has faded, invariably there will be other "celebrity" fish in the hobby. Check out this R2R article about the impact of the captive-breeding of Blue Tangs - Paracanthurus hepatus (Dory) has been captive bred. What does this mean for aquarists?
My biggest reason for not picking a fish;
It’s for utility.
NONE of your fish should be picked out for utility. All of them should be picked because you like them. If they’re utilitarian then that’s just a pro. I see too many people disliking a fish later down the line and often it’s a fish they got just for utility.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other. Skill level and time to dedicate to a new fish is extremely important. I just added a captive bred Pinnatus Batfish, Regal Angel , & Harlequin tusk, if I did not have the time, skill level and resources to make sure these specimens are being fed hourly small amounts of food, I would never have added these fish. They were just introduced to the system last night. I have a camera set up for watching fish behavior and my wife feeding every hour on the hour and watching closely to make sure they are consuming nutrition to support their fast metabolism as babies.
AE8BECA3-ABC8-4539-B924-43396A371C1A.jpg

81C2270D-59DE-49DD-8FC7-0D0CF91A8D78.jpg

IMG_2180.jpeg

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just one more fish. even though I'm in that current situation myself. currently have 6 fish in my 40g all juvenile and all only grow to 4 inches in length. really want two bottom dwellers to finish off the tank, but still up in the air. I added all the current fish as quickly as possible because thus far it's lead to the best success. everyone is new so no one's territorial yet.

definitely will need a bigger skimmer though since my current has to be emptied almost daily.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back