Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO/DI system came in today so I'm making rodi water right now. I'm going to glue my dry rock in place and it's also currently aquascaped in my tank (picture below). Tell me if you think that setup blocks too much light. I have more rock which would make it even as far as pound per gallon but it seemed too crowded for me. IMG_0399.JPG What I wanted some last second opinions on was about the easiest way to set it up. Do I leave the rock in, pour in water and mix in the tank, then add sand last?

Another thing I wanted to ask was if I should run rodi water through my used canister filter? I've cleaned it with hose water being as it was used by a guy with a freshwater tank. There was mud all over. I wiped it with paper towels after. Also have his used heater.

Thanks for your help!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That scape looks good. A but of shade is ok, you may want it for some lower light coral or acclimation. Yea just dump the saltwater in.
Or most gear, including buckets, ato reservoir etc. a tiny amount of bleach in tap water and leave it in the sun. On my canister , I scrub it, and I set the can on the floor and a 5g bucket with a tiny amount of bleach in the water and dry in the sun.

Nutramar Foods

Jason mack

Monti madness
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape looks great , just try too make sure your rocks don't touch the glass sides and try and leave enough room too clean your glass .. since your starting up you could just fill the tank with rodi and then add salt , but it's good practice too do it in a tub outside your tank as this is how you will do it when doing water changes , it's a good idea too heat your rodi when adding the salt get it up too what it will be in your tank helps with mixing it , you can add sand before you add water just put a plate on top off your sand when filling with water , as for your equipment wash it with rodi water and vinegar if you have some .. and of course keep us posted of your progress.. happy reefing !!!

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my rocks from the glass and have washed with vinegar for some things already. Not the filter though. I'll try the bleach and dry method. My rodi is 75 gpd so I'll heat half my tank as I wait for the other half lol. Thanks guys!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. I really like the aqua scape. You did a great job. If you are adding live sand then be sure to add already mixed saltwater. Its ok to leave that way, but if the sand is live....I would add some circulation to the tank. If you are just adding regular sand.... You don't have to circulate the water. You will be just fine.

Tank is going to cycle regardless.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is live sand. So make sure you mix your water up to the correct specific gravity. Ensure you get those packets out of the sand and put a small pump in the water you put over the sand to keep the water moving. You will be good to go.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back