0   0   0
going into a 25g lagoon, dimensionsL:
Outside DIMS: Length 23.62” Width: 19.68” Height: 11.8”
Display DIMS: Length 23” Width: 15.87” Height: 11.8”

my 2 light options:
1 Kessil :
2 of these:

or two of these. I really like the gooseneck look
please tell me out of these 3 would be best, thanks. sorry this is a new thread, I wanted to keep it organized

Top Shelf Aquatics

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the kessil A80s are a better brand and more reliable, they don't put down much PAR. At the sandbed in a 12" deep tank I think you can get maybe 50 PAR out of them. You need to decide what you'll be doing with this tank. If you want corals I would highly suggest trying to find a used AI Prime and arm in the classifieds, or something similar. I dont have experience with the other two lights. I will comment though both are 30w compared to the Kessil 15w light so you aren't comparing apples to apples. The larger "black box" will give you more spread and coverage where as the Nicrew will give you a more concentrated light (spot light) source. Most of the time the knock off lights use a cheaper LED array and have bad heat sinks, so if you do go with one of those just watch those issues.

Here are some review threads to consider for the non-kessil lights:

https://www.ubuy.vn/en/product/1B23...light-with-dual-channel-wired-controller-nano (has a PAR chart in the images w/ spread)

Nutramar Foods

Saltydog22

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going into a 25g lagoon, dimensionsL:
Outside DIMS: Length 23.62” Width: 19.68” Height: 11.8”
Display DIMS: Length 23” Width: 15.87” Height: 11.8”

my 2 light options:
1 Kessil :
2 of these:

or two of these. I really like the gooseneck look
please tell me out of these 3 would be best, thanks. sorry this is a new thread, I wanted to keep it organized
those are good

OP
OP
S

sheeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the kessil A80s are a better brand and more reliable, they don't put down much PAR. At the sandbed in a 12" deep tank I think you can get maybe 50 PAR out of them. You need to decide what you'll be doing with this tank. If you want corals I would highly suggest trying to find a used AI Prime and arm in the classifieds, or something similar. I dont have experience with the other two lights. I will comment though both are 30w compared to the Kessil 15w light so you aren't comparing apples to apples. The larger "black box" will give you more spread and coverage where as the Nicrew will give you a more concentrated light (spot light) source. Most of the time the knock off lights use a cheaper LED array and have bad heat sinks, so if you do go with one of those just watch those issues.

Here are some review threads to consider for the non-kessil lights:

https://www.ubuy.vn/en/product/1B23...light-with-dual-channel-wired-controller-nano (has a PAR chart in the images w/ spread)
How about 1 AI prime 16hd

Top Shelf Aquatics

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI has a great "signature series" library where people share lighting schedules for their AI's and tanks - I would recommend Karen's for your tank as a starting point -

Due to your shape (lagoon) I would probably back those down 10-20%, and def slowly acclimate the light up (should be an option to do that on the app) because you don't wanna pound it with light out of the gate! Enjoy! Super nice light!

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
S

sheeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI has a great "signature series" library where people share lighting schedules for their AI's and tanks - I would recommend Karen's for your tank as a starting point -

Due to your shape (lagoon) I would probably back those down 10-20%, and def slowly acclimate the light up (should be an option to do that on the app) because you don't wanna pound it with light out of the gate! Enjoy! Super nice light!
image.jpg

Just need to transfer everything now, how’s the light look height wise?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One prime is fine for LPS/mixed reef. You may eventually want to add a second when corals grow large or if you get into more SPS.

I would raise it just enough to get coverage without too much spill. AI recommends 12-15" but have seen people run it closer too.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Need to add my sand from other tank, rock water and everything should be running tomorrow. Will update!
Looks good! You could sneak it down a tad to get it over center and less light spill, but it'll be fine for now where it is.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s cool, I’m kinda looking for what I would call a “desktop frag tank” I will def check that out
Extremely nice tank, it’s built well and comes with pretty much everything you need. Mighty jet return pump, filter sock, media chamber, pre-plumbed, etc. and even a little glass cleaner was a nice touch lol. For ~430$ it’s not a bad deal at all

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back