Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help. It seems like over night my bicolor blenny developed a large white spot underneath it’s eye. There’s no clouding there is a similar large spot located midway down it’s lateral body. It’s abdomen is distended and it’s breathing heavy. Any ideas what it is and how to treat?

DED6190F-ECA1-4408-8845-696FF20BEB2F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Help. It seems like over night my bicolor blenny developed a large white spot underneath it’s eye. There’s no clouding there is a similar large spot located midway down it’s lateral body. It’s abdomen is distended and it’s breathing heavy. Any ideas what it is and how to treat?

View attachment 3024322
This looks to be post injury and can be developing a bacterial issue. They can be skittish and dive into rocks risking injury.
Best would be to treat in separate quarantine tank and treat with either seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 for at least 5 days, adding aeration with an air stone and monitoring ammonia levels with a reliable test kit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

calebbader

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to be post injury and can be developing a bacterial issue. They can be skittish and dive into rocks risking injury.
Best would be to treat in separate quarantine tank and treat with either seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 for at least 5 days, adding aeration with an air stone and monitoring ammonia levels with a reliable test kit
Thank you so much! I am new to the hobby and do not have a quarantine tank. Would I be able to treat this in the main tank?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This does look like an infection of some sort, but the rapid breathing means that there is either another issue going on, or the infection has become systemic (involving the whole fish).

You probably will not be able to treat this in a display tank - a quarantine/treatment tank with antibiotics would be best.

Jay

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back