Large tube shaped pest in Montipora Digi

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

This monti frag has had a tube shaped pest growing in the middle of it for some time and I finally caught it out at night, almost looks like a large spionid with shorter antennas? Maybe even closer to a blenny lol. Hard to get a great pic because it shrinks back in at any sign of light. Doesn’t seem to harm the monti, but im not too partial to the monti itself as i have others of the same species (this one was a rescue trying to bring it back from algae growth on the tips) if it does appear to be a pest.

IMG_0534.jpeg IMG_0532.jpeg IMG_0531.jpeg IMG_0530.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people seal them over with Super Glue Gel. The coral will encrust it after it dies.

Otherwise, a pointy object can poke it dead, but often the fragile coral will get fragged when I've tried this at home. They can spread, so do something quickly, and Bumble Bee Snails are a great option!

OP
OP
Black Dog Reefing

Black Dog Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people seal them over with Super Glue Gel. The coral will encrust it after it dies.

Otherwise, a pointy object can poke it dead, but often the fragile coral will get fragged when I've tried this at home. They can spread, so do something quickly, and Bumble Bee Snails are a great option!
It is much larger than a vermitid and has not spread at all. It is somewhere between and 1/8” and 1/4”

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is much larger than a vermitid and has not spread at all. It is somewhere between and 1/8” and 1/4”
They come in tiny and king sized :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

The little whiskers and probiscis with the tube buried in the growing skeleton of the coral scream "Vermitid" to me, but it certainly might be another kind of creature?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back